Recommended aquarium fertiliser

Jdent
Been liked: 2 times

Can someone help out with an aquarium fertiliser. I've had some plants for a while, they've survived rather than thrived so I've been looking at fertiliser.

But some have said caution causes allergic reaction, another said causes damage to unborn child and affects fertility and may affect internal organs, so it's obviously got something in it that's mutagenic whatever it is. Is there anything that's a bit safer? I know they're chemicals but I'm not sold on choosing one with warnings like those on the packaging.

Any better options?

Are root tabs any better? And do you just bury them in the gravel when you plant?

Thanks
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

what plants do you have? if its cryptocoryns, or swords then root tabs work better, if its stem plants, anubias etc then go with something like Tropica Premium Nutrition, TNC Lite or EI dosing if you want to mix your own.
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

None of my plants grow or flourish. I use root tabs have high nitrates and have tried liquid ferts so plenty of nutrients along with 10 hours of lights on.
Algae does well though!
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Jdent

Vallisneria - I've not had this before, and more Elodia. Hopefully they were good choices ?
Jdent

The algae is really well controlled in the tank and has been for a long time - can I expect more algae growth too if I start adding fertiliser?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Jdent wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 15:26 pm But some have said caution causes allergic reaction, another said causes damage to unborn child and affects fertility and may affect internal organs, so it's obviously got something in it that's mutagenic whatever it is. Is there anything that's a bit safer?
Well yes, if you like swallow these products. Any fertiliser chemical is dangerous in one way or another, depending on how you use it.

Aquarium fertiliser can include, Ammonium Nitrate (NH4 NO3) Potassium sulfate (K2SO4) Potassium chloride (KCI) Potassium nitrate (KNO3) Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) Potassium nitrate (KNO3) Calcium nitrate (Ca(NO3)2.4H2O) Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) Dipotassium phosphate (K2HPO4) Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4) and trace minerals, Boron, Chlorine, Copper, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel and Zinc to name a few.

Ammonium Nitrate (NH4 NO3) in large enough amounts can by quite tricky, just ask the citizens of Beirut city.

If your that worried about handling any aquarium fertiliser, I'd suggest using surgical gloves. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Jdent wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 18:34 pm The algae is really well controlled in the tank and has been for a long time - can I expect more algae growth too if I start adding fertiliser?
Not if you have enough plants to out complete the algae. Fast growing stem plants are good at this.

Vallisneria Sp. are very nutrient hungry.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: