Bronze Goldies need loving new home...

Tell us a bit about yourself!
GLM
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

fr499y wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:18 am Welcome to AF-UK

A lot of people are stuck in the old ways of plonking one in a bowl and calling it a day. You might struggle to find people with aquariums big enough that want cold water fish.

Its good to see someone putting the fish first though 😁
I've had Goldfish for around 20 years now, never had babies though. In October i found what looked like some sort of fungus splashed all over the inside of the lid of my tank, having never seen fish eggs before i was i bit concerned so i scraped some off, put it in a little pot with some water and took it to my local fish shop. He took one look and said "they're eggs!", and not only that, but some had actually hatched in the time it took me to drive to the shop! We had babies!! So i rushed home, carefully scraped the rest of the eggs off the lid and watched as on by one they all started to hatch. Months of meticulous care, attention, maintenance, time and money ensued! Daily water changes and cleaning, learning to hatch baby brine shrimp etc, we didn't lose a single fry from the eggs that hatched which i am quite proud of.
However we now have between 55 and 60 baby goldfish and there's no way in the world i can house all of them going forward. The parents and one other goldfish plus two Weather Loach all live in my 465L tank which i still think is too small just for them to be honest, and they now have around 12 of their biggest babies in with them, plus another tank with around 30 mediium sized fish in, and a smaller tank with around 15 of the tiniest ones in. I'm doing my absolute best for them and we love every single one of them, but can't keep them all which is quite sad actually. I just want the best life for them, hence my trying to rehome them responsibly. They are such beautiful fish, i REALLY don't get why Goldfish are seen as second class fish!!!

There must be some Goldfish keepers on here :)

Here's a pic of my main tank before the babies went in... :)
GLM
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

And this is how it all started... :)

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

I’ve split this up just to keep your classified post clear of relies 😁
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Hi, It's nice to see someone putting the fish first, I know little of goldfish but would it not be possible to rehome them to people with ponds? It's been 15oc here today so not that chilly it can't be long before pond fish start waking up, I've had the same trouble trying to rehome fish on Facebook as soon as proof of tank is requested it all goes quiet, I take mine to a store that I know will take them now, good luck with trying to rehome yours.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish