New to the hobby

Tell us a bit about yourself!
DuzMano
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hello all,

Been wanting to get set up with a tank on and off for a long time, coming up to semi retirement in a month and a bit so going to finally get started. (Just seen that this has turned into a giant post, so I'm sorry if it's too long for most to be bothered reading...)

I'm kinda limited on space and not wanting to invest huge amounts of money, though I understand it's not a super cheap hobby - especially getting started out. I'm thinking of getting some kind of starter set up or similar but not 100% decided which one, Ive researched a few, but haven't anyone to bounce ideas off that has any experience, thus me joining here in the hope of some sound, unbiased advice, guidance and general tips and pointers along my journey.

This seems great value at the moment:
https://www.swelluk.com/swell-60-tropic ... um-kit-54l

I did have my eyes on this for the extra volume: https://www.swelluk.com/aquael-leddy-aq ... l-tall-60l

Bearing in mind what I would ideally like to keep in it I think the additional volume would be better.

Though aesthetically I really like this:
https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/superfish- ... fault_desc

But is it worth the extra money, I don't know... Help me! Lmao

Maybe there are better other options out there you might suggest to consider?

Ive a nice old, but very solid side table in my lounge that does nothing but collect dust from all the Nik naks the good lady wife likes to dot everywhere so it's been agreed I can commandeer it for a tank. It's 62cm long x 42cm wide so I think perfect for athe 60cm tanks I'm looking at, with a bonus of a little space behind the tank to keep the food tubs and water conditioner bottles etc out of sight. I'd like to keep the tank in the lounge as that's where i would spend the most time looking at it, even though it's probably not ideal from a distance from the sink/tap point of view. But then it's only a 60cm tank, so a single bucket is probably more than a 10% water change, so after the initial set up and cycle of the tank, I'd expect it won't be so much a problem being so far - though the first few weeks might tell me otherwise haha. Also the lounge gets limited natural light compared to most other social rooms downstairs so seems the logical place overall.

I'd like to do a planted tank, more like an ecosystem style, not because I'm lazy, but because the idea of it having some element of self sustainability appeals and would feel more like bringing nature in somewhat harmoniously. I've also got it in my mind that it would be filtered, but not heated, relying on the ambient heat in the room even though I accept this limits my options for what I can keep.

I already have some idea of the 'livestock' (is that how you would term it?) I'd like to keep. A school of White cloud (maybe a dozen?) with a male and 2 female paradise fish (though I've heard some individuals of this species can be feisty) the other thing I've been thinking about instead of the paradise fish is honey gourami - these probably better suited to a tank of the size I'll be getting I guess but not 100% sure of the temps - but the minnow and paradise fish are found in the same places in nature so seems right to my logic to do so in my home. I think if I go for the deeper of the tanks I'm looking at I should be ok with three? I'm not especially keen on the idea of keeping a single lonely species, I think it's right they should have social interaction.

I'd like to also have some bottom dwellers and some shrimp and snails. I'm worried about the shrimp with paradise fish though, especially as I'm considering cherries. I'd prefer cherries as they would breed whereas amanos wouldn't even though they are larger and thus less likely to be food... I know the shrimp fry would likely as not get scoffed, but some may make it with the right plants and enough cover and this sort of eco-cycle also appeals somewhat too. Keeping with the Asian theme of the fish, I was thinking kuhli loaches as the bottom dwellers, though I fear as they prefer being in a group and they prefer warmer temps than an unheated tank would provide also I'm likely pushing the limits of capacity in the tank and maybe as a beginner, overstocking is a stupid idea, and I should be very much limiting chances to go wrong, but the temptation is real ;) what other bottom dwellers would be recommended ideally cooler temps and preferably of Asian origin to keep the theme?

Firstly though I'm just going to get the tank, some substrate, plants, some driftwood and rocks, water conditioner and test kit etc to make an uninhabited aquascape and let it cycle and grow in for a couple of months before introducing anything, to see how I fare with it. Maybe then I can look at adding the minnows, shrimp and snails. Then after all is settled and such add the loaches and then see what I feel about the 'centrepiece' fish, whether paradise or gourami. But you may well tell me I'm trying to add too much to this tank?

Another thing I of course needs to bear in mind is that I live in Suffolk, so the water is particularly hard from the taps here, so I'd be looking at harvesting rainwater for water changes for the most part, though the cherries quite like minerals in the water right? But what about the other occupants? Minnow are pretty hardy right?

Anyway I've already prattled on far too long. Hope I've not overstayed my welcome after my first post lmao
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Greetings and welcome.
You will get some great advice on this forum.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

Hi and welcome to the forum, as said above you will get some fantastic and friendly advice here. Seems like you've done your research so you're off to a good start.

The only advice I will offer is to stick with a tank that doesn't have inbuilt filters and lights as it will really limit your options. I recently decided to dip my feet into the aquarium waters again after a keeping koi for a few years and having kept an aquarium many many years ago. I went for the Superfish Quadro Pro 70 and somewhat regret now as I can't really change the lighting or filtration. Whilst it looks aesthetically pleasing it's not very practical.

This is the tank I bought

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/superfish- ... rium-white

If I were doing it again I would go for this

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/superfish- ... t_products

or this

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/superfish- ... t_products

Good luck with what ever you decide on.
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
DuzMano

I had looked at the scaper tanks, but I'm worried about not having a lid and stuff escaping or leaping out, and the self contained element while restrictive does make for a self contained thing in a corner of the room that is literally as big as the tank there is no extra, unless I go for a smaller tank and then that seems counter intuitive to the ideal...

I'll bear it in mind still but sorely tempted by the leddy XL, if anything for the additional volume...
Last edited by DuzMano on Fri Mar 15, 2024 22:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

You could make a cover for the scaper with a piece of polycarb?

But I know what you mean about the all in ones they do have a completed and contained kind of feel to them hence why I went for the Quadro. If like me though you get hooked you will soon regret the restrictions of the all in ones!
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
DuzMano

Hah I can't get hooked to that extent, I don't have the space or can reasonably justify the expense, so this would be my only tank. Unless I give up the music studio which won't happen. (He says with all seriousness and confidence ;) )
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

The fluval flex range has a good built in filter. Might be worth having a look at those.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Volume is not the important measurement when keeping fish, it's surface area for gas exchange and swimming. ;)
Taller tanks are only useful for keeping bigger fish, and you won't get "taller" fish in a tank under 3' long, in fact you won't get many bigger in less than a 4'.
Paradise fish are a nightmare to keep with anything else, and something as small as white clouds will be very tempting for them, and if you want gourami they won't be compatible temperatures as white clouds are more temperate (18C-22C) than the tropical gourami (24C-27C).
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian