Earthworms as food?

Food, feeding and diet.
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

When I had my first tanks I was 14 years old, many moons ago now....and my dad used to dig up earthworms, chop them up with a razor blade then drop them in the tank! Community tank, usual mix of fish , all of which snapped up the bits of worm  :'[
Does anyone use earthworms these days? I would imagine the corys would eat them, but not sure about the tetras, danios, harlequins etc :huh:
DoubleDutch
Posting Legend
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 134 times

I've fed them in the past to my Keyhole cichlids. Noticed that the Corys and tetras had difficulty to eat them (they are not really equipped to take a bite)

Send from the other side of the North Sea
Send from the Low lands.
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

That's why my dad used to slice them up! I remember watching the worms, thought it was cruel at the time, but the fish loved them: ready made bite sized pieces of fresh food :)
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

While we're on the subject of what our Dads did back then, mine used to pre-chew food before dropping it in the tank.
Things like cooked chicken or prawns (not earthworms or Tetramin flakes).
Planted Fluval 240 Roma
18 Harlequins
18 Norman's Lampeyes
12 Amano Shrimp
8 Panda Corydoras
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Otos
3 Pearl Gouramis
2 Assassin Snails
Colin Whitworth

jacksdad wrote: When I had my first tanks I was 14 years old, many moons ago now....and my dad used to dig up earthworms, chop them up with a razor blade then drop them in the tank! Community tank, usual mix of fish , all of which snapped up the bits of worm  :'[
Does anyone use earthworms these days? I would imagine the corys would eat them, but not sure about the tetras, danios, harlequins etc :huh:
Colin Whitworth. I used earthworms years ago. They are brilliant for growing cichlids, but even finely chopped they are no good for small tetras or anything with a small mouth.
CactusMel
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Hi Baddams,
I too chew a bit of Chicken or ham (no fat) from my dinner or tea time sandwich, for my young Discus, they love it!
Regards

Mel.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

CactusMel wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:22 am Hi Baddams,
I too chew a bit of Chicken or ham (no fat) from my dinner or tea time sandwich, for my young Discus, they love it!
Regards

Mel.
Chew??
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Haven't used earthworms for years, use to fed them to Convict and Firemouth Cichlids.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: