Help with Seachem equilibrium and buffers

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Do the RO/tapwater mix and see what it is, as well as testing the RO, maybe a membrane has gone in the RO unit....??
Valco

Yes I have tested before adding anything.The pH is 5.5 both the Kh and the Gh are zero. Also the tds is zero.
Can I do a water change using RO water with just acid and alkaline buffers and no equilibrium would this safely lower the Gh.
I am beginning to wonder if the high Gh level could be due to a build up of minerals due to evaporation. I have heard of this happening but have no idea of how to correct it.
You opinion would be appreciated.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I've never played with RO, so don't know what this would do.
What acid/alkaline buffers would you use?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I’m wondering if adding both might be pushing the hardness up, or is there something in the tank decor wise thats raising the hardness?
Like Ian i have never used any buffers or equilibrium. I was trying to remember what Vale! uses, thats aquadur
Valco

I use seachem acid and alkaline buffers. The only rocks I have in the tank are lava rocks which are inert.
I have used JBL Aquadur remineraliser in the past and had the same high levels of Gh.
Perhaps I need to contact seachem direct to get their thoughts.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

It is quite unusual to get such a high hardness level when using the remineralisers (when you're not aiming for it), I don't understand why that would happen......unless the batch has got too much of something in it....???