Cory and Pleco Recommendations

Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

MelBud29 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:15 am the tank I’m looking to get is a 240l juwel.
A 4 foot tank should be fine for a few juvenile discus or a breeding pair but if you have room then bigger would be better long-term for a group of discus.
Although discus have been successfully kept in harder water, in their natural environment (Amazon and other rivers of northern south America) the water is acidic (below pH7.0) with little or no water hardness.

Many successful breeders & exhibitors swear by beef heart, although the flesh of warm-blooded animals is fundamentally bad for fish and difficult to digest properly.
This type of feeding may enhance fish growth and colouration but it is totally unnatural.
Discus are mainly herbivores (plant eaters) and the stomach content found in dissected deceased wild discus contained detritus and plant matter, decapods, wood matter, bugs & crustacea. Also no fish meat was ever found in the stomach of a wild discus.

It is suggested to feed things such as spirulina, spinach, peas, other vegetables, brine shrimps, bloodworm and krill as they are more natural and easier for discus to digest.

Hope it helps
Stephen
MelBud29
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 8 times

Sadly we don’t have more room, this is the biggest tank we can physically go to.

That’s very interesting regarding feeding though. I might nip into the cichlids category to ask more about this, as most of the information I have found has pretty much all recommended the beefheart based foods.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Two of my Peppered Cories are mating! The female is putting some serious head butts into a poor male. Typical GBH! I am trying to net them to place them into the "Honeymoon
Tank" but no success. This has been going on for a couple of days now. Should I just leave them in the Community Tank? I would like to have some little Cories, but fear the other fish might eat the eggs if I leave them. On the other hand, chasing the enamoured couple around the big tank will cause the others distress which I don't want to do.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

You’d be better off leaving them to it and moving the eggs after, if you can find where they have laid them :)
Last Triumph
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 77 times

I have a Golden Nugget Pleco and some Corydoras Juli and they're great fish in a peaceful, warm tank.
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

There are several very pretty 'gold shoulder' species of Cory that inhabit warmer waters in the wild, predominantly in the Rio Negro and tributaries. They include adolfoi, burgessi, duplicareus. However, the Rio Negro has soft acidic water so these may not be the ideal choice in harder water.

The gold nugget pleco is a good shout, if you can get a healthy one and provide quality foods. They prefer higher temperatures and slightly harder water. However, they have a bad habit of dying in the first few months as they are often imported in a half-starved state with none of the gut bacteria they need to digest their food.