Red cherry shrimp tank advice

robbo81
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 28 times

Hello folks.
So I intend to set up a small shrimp only tank and have a few questions.
I have red cherry shrimp in my 200 litre community tank and do well despite them sometimes getting chased by the 2 Siamese algae eaters, however I would also like a species only tank.
The tank will need to be small , I have considered the fluval edge 23l as I think this is a nice looking tank, however , will the little hang on the back filter supplied with the edge be sufficient for keeping water healthy for shrimp ? I thought of maybe adding a sponge filter but as this tank will most likely be kept in a bedroom I don’t want an air pump running all night, unless the air pump is off for 8 hours through the night perhaps ??? I had first considered a cheaper tank with 1 or 2 sponge filters running but as said this may be annoying during the night.
I’m then trying to decide what hat substrate . I’ve seen shrimp keepers using ‘active’ substrate but I believe cherry shrimp prefer an inert substrate so which is better ?? And finally I’ve also seen people using additives powder before adding any substrate , is this necessary?
Is just like people’s opinions on this please
Thanks all
Rob
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

Shrimp have such a small bioload. I personally like to run a small canister filter with a sponge inlet, or a mini pat filter as its a basic powerhead with a sponge attached. You won't need to go crazy on filtration.

I've always used sand or fine gravel, nothing special for the shrimp, but I live in a hard water area and only kept neo's ( Cherries, sunkist, blue jellies etc ). Only thing i would add would be alder cones and banana leaves. as they LOVE them. Maybe some catappa leaves or bark.
robbo81

fr499y wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:32 pm Shrimp have such a small bioload. I personally like to run a small canister filter with a sponge inlet, or a mini pat filter as its a basic powerhead with a sponge attached. You won't need to go crazy on filtration.

I've always used sand or fine gravel, nothing special for the shrimp, but I live in a hard water area and only kept neo's ( Cherries, sunkist, blue jellies etc ). Only thing i would add would be alder cones and banana leaves. as they LOVE them. Maybe some catappa leaves or bark.
Hi there.
Thanks for the help. Yes I was reading about adding leaves and alder cones. The fluval edge tank ive looked at on eBay has no filter medi so I may just add a pre sponge to the inlet and bio home bio gravel to the hob filter. I’m hoping to pick this up at a bargain price as I’m not paying for a new fluval edge haha.
This one also has the led lights. So just need a heater which I’ve probably got a spare somewhere.
I also have fine black gravel which I used in my 200 litre.
Hanlou
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 78 times

If you did want a sponge filter without the noise - the Aquael Pat Mini filter is great and absolutely silent! I have a modified one (see YouTube videos for more info!) with two sponges attached instead of using an airpump - I stole the idea from YouTube and it’s working beautifully xx ;)

You can keep things as simple as you want or as complicated as you like - depending a lot on what plants etc you want to keep as well as livestock. I looked at the powder additives but they are crazy expensive and really seem designed more to help plants than livestock.

I have invested in some GlasGarten Bacter AE as this has rave reviews everywhere (though you don’t need to use much at all from all I’ve researched) It’s a Biofilm product. You can have a look at my tank log on the ‘Whats Happening in your tank’ section - I wanted a ‘scape that would look good whilst creating a healthy habitat for shrimp. No livestock yet but hopefully wont be too long xx

I will be keeping Neocaridina though not the more sensitive Caridina as I’m in a hard water area. :)
robbo81

Hanlou wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 20:36 pm If you did want a sponge filter without the noise - the Aquael Pat Mini filter is great and absolutely silent! I have a modified one (see YouTube videos for more info!) with two sponges attached instead of using an airpump - I stole the idea from YouTube and it’s working beautifully xx ;)

You can keep things as simple as you want or as complicated as you like - depending a lot on what plants etc you want to keep as well as livestock. I looked at the powder additives but they are crazy expensive and really seem designed more to help plants than livestock.

I have invested in some GlasGarten Bacter AE as this has rave reviews everywhere (though you don’t need to use much at all from all I’ve researched) It’s a Biofilm product. You can have a look at my tank log on the ‘Whats Happening in your tank’ section - I wanted a ‘scape that would look good whilst creating a healthy habitat for shrimp. No livestock yet but hopefully wont be too long xx

I will be keeping Neocaridina though not the more sensitive Caridina as I’m in a hard water area. :)
Oh great I’ll go and take a look at those filters.
I should add, at one time I had 3 tanks, then baby no 3 came and I was convinced to get rid of my tanks however I kept the bigger 200 litre and managed to convince my Mrs to let me build a pond haha so the fact I’m now planning another tank I think I’ve got a death wish. And the fact this tank will more than likely be in our bedroom means it has to be as silent as possible or I’ll be sleeping in the shed when she throws me out haha anyway back to the tank. I’m glad you mentioned about the powders etc as I was unsure if they were totally necessary. As for plants etc I don’t want it heavily planted , maybe some moss, couple moss balls, maybe some Anubias . I want it to be really simple .
Hanlou
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 78 times

Well my little tank is in the living room and I have stupidly sensitive hearing but the filter really is silent! I have to visibly check the surface is rippling when I turn it back on as there’s no other way of making sure it’s working!

I love my Anubias and moss - shrimps love moss and I have two moss balls too! Bucephalandra is a lovely plant too and a very different leaf shape to Anubias but also easy and attaches to wood and rocks if you wanted a contrasting plant. :)
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

A guy at work is using a Fluval Edge for his shrimp and it seems to be working great for him although only been up and running for a few months but he is very happy and the shrimp or breading nicely for him.
Tbh I think he has more or less done exactly what you're planning to do... a bit of wood, moss and simple plants.
robbo81

So I’m definitely going to use the black fine gravel substrate I use in my other tanks for this shrimp tank. I’m going to paint / wrap the rest of the tank and want opinions please. Black substrate and black background or black substrate with frosted glass wrap on the rear ?? I’ve seen this done on a few tanks and it looks pretty good. I think you can buy small sheets of frosted glass wrap on eBay. Will the all black be too dark or has anyone done this and it look good ??
Thanks
Rob
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

I'd go with frosted over the black for the back, but its your choice :)
Stapo
Been liked: 3 times

I have a small (prob 5 ltr) red cherry shrimp bowl I set up a few weeks ago. I had an air stone and a very small canister filter in it. I'm afraid if the shrimp produce fry they may be sucked into filter so I removed it. Also it is a small bowl so filter was taking up a lot of space. I inserted the air stone into a sponge. Will this he effective as a mini sponge filter? I read small bowls like this don't need filtration if water is changed regularly and just an air stone will do. I'm going to add more plants and it has a medium-fine black substrate.