Adventures in Tank Building... Tank Log Time

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

@Fishtales you're better at the Internet than me lol!! all I managed to find was their 'Frozen' decorations and small Betta tanks. Thank you - I shall have a look. :)

Water still in place this morning and tank hasn't exploded or fallen through the floor. Whoop!! Will add more tonight.

Now thinking I need some sort of background. Never been that keen on them but less keen on pipes and wires flapping about.

Guess the choices are :

Paint - likely to scratch or peel? And can it be removed if I changed my mind?

One of those sheets of plastic fake rock or wood things but they're expensive and I would probably need a couple at least to cover the height

Aquarium shop sheet background and fix on (could it be taped for easy removal?) If one of those I would probably go for the plain blue.

Some sort of film like these

https://www.diy.com/departments/paintin ... v7Z1z0s33m

* Ponders *
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

I used 3mm black foamboard for my tank back and attached it using the clamps that hold the inlet & outlet pipes for the filter so its easily removed in future.

https://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/pvc-foamex-board/
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

I used this stuff for the back of my 125l tank and the side of my other. Really easy to take on and off.

3D Static Cling Window Film
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Thanks, more things to think about :)

I don't know whether the fish or cats cost me more.... :rolleyes:
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

WinterRose73 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:13 am I don't know whether the fish or cats cost me more.... :rolleyes:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Yes, the initial set-up costs can be high. Once that is done, though, it should be a lot cheaper to run the tank.
With regards to backgrounds I've only ever used either picture backgrounds or sheets of cardboard and, as you suggested, just used a bit of sticky tape to hold it in place. I don't really view my tank from the sides, so not bothered about a bit of sticky tape coming around the corner from the back holding the background pic.
This also means if you fancy a change of background, it is easy to do and you don't have to empty the whole tank to do it.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2250 times
Been liked: 1909 times

ROFL Well today I took my dog to the vet for his booster (£'s) and last weekend he was there for repeatedly being sick (££'s) my fish cause me some worries but at least they have never yet got me up in the middle of the night because they are feeling sick!
But I agree initial set up costs can be high, for background on my 180l I just used plain black backing that you can buy from aquarium shops, handily I could slide it up between glass and wood trim which was tight enough to hold it in place without tape, bought the same for big tank but never used it as found I actually liked how light it was without :cool:
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

@Fishtales just watched the video you linked to and I think I must have the 49g Nautilus Silver Trim.

Useful info on the film about the glass etc and the cabinets / padding. Would have been interesting to see an empty set up and under a tank to get a view of the padding and so on.

Thanks for finding it! :)
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

You're welcome @WinterRose73 :) Yes I know what you mean. It's very frustrating trying to find good info on the Penn-Plax aquariums. Mind you the same goes for a lot of older models of any make, I can only get limited info on my secondhand Aqua One.

Strange thing with the Penn-Plax Luxury Aquariums is, they are superb quality but finding stockists seems virtually impossible. I can only assume the bigger Aquarium companies have struck deals with the large outlets/retailers.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Fishtales wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 19:47 pm Strange thing with the Penn-Plax Luxury Aquariums is, they are superb quality but finding stockists seems virtually impossible. I can only assume the bigger Aquarium companies have struck deals with the large outlets/retailers.
Penn-Plax is an American company which originally came from a small pet shop retailer in Brooklyn, New York.
Unfortunately while we can get a certain amount of their products over here, we don't seem to be able to get their full catalogue.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: