Food for very young Discus...

Food, feeding and diet.
CactusMel
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Hi All.
I have 5 young Discus these I have had a month and they were 8 week old when I got them. So what high protein food can I feed them at the moment it's just frozen stuff mostly beetheart based, but I'm thinking high protein granules, but they didn't care for the ones I tried (unbranded), too dry or too heard...

Any ideas, your comments etc, very welcome.

regards

Mel.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

You might find this informative. ;)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
CactusMel

Hi Martin,
I have in the past made DIY food for my Shrimps and snails. A very useful and informative video. But is that the way I want to go?

Mel.
Martinspuddle

CactusMel wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 am But is that the way I want to go?
I don't know, only you can answer that question! ;)

Personally I've never kept Discus, I been more of a Angelfish keeper in the past and I use Heron's fish foods for all my fishes. I have linked their Cichlid foods page below for you.

Herons Pet World
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CactusMel

Hi Martin,
Yes I use Heron's foods too, good value for money. In fact I ask them what they might have suitable and they offered to send me samples of their Red Discus granules and Ultra flakes, so see how they go! A DIY food based on fish would be easy? or Liver.
I'll ponder a while!!

Mel.
CactusMel

Hi All,
Well it's now a month since I got my young Discus. They are now growing well (I hope) and eating a lot better, but still mostly frozen food, can't get them to take granules, too dry, too hard, even if I pre-soak them. Don't want to buy expensive granules if their not going to take them, sure they will later?? Their also beginning to show some colour, especially in the fins and tops of the head.

The tank is next to my desk and PC, so they gather in the corner looking at me! I have had then feeding out of my hand, but with one hand in the tank and camera in the other, not really got a good picture yet, keep trying.....
Here's a couple of pics.

Mel.

Martinspuddle

I've got to admit I would sometimes have trouble getting very young Angelfish off frozen or live foods, even at 2" some of them would still be picky at what they would eat. Just have to persevere with them I'm afraid. ;)
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

My discus love these, Vitalis Pellets you should see a pic of a discus on the tub, also freeze dried Black worms, they come in blocks just like tubifex.
You don't really need to feed high protein food unless you want them to grow exceptionally large, and that would mean getting a larger tank sooner rather than later.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Just remember to soak any freeze dried stuff before adding to the tank or it can cause digestive issues as the food absorbs water from the fish’s gut.
Imagine making an instant coffee without adding water ;)
CactusMel

Hi Ginger...
Yes I was thinking that myself! It would just be too dry and perhaps hard for them. I'm thinking of trying freeze dried Bloodworm, but It seems many people are saying that there not very nutritious, compared to live worms or Daphnia, or even other foods. I do vary the diet in the day with 3-4 different frozen foods, but it's all frozen. they will not take granules (even so called discus ones) or flake. I just want to try and change things a bit and give them something different. Heron's do freeze dried Bloodworms, that's next..

Mel.

Last edited by CactusMel on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.