Blue Rams

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Sorry for your loss :(
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 310 times

Yeah had a feeling they wouldn't last long, I suspect they've brought a parasite with them too they and the keyholes have started to flicker a bit don't know if it's coincidental or not but I better dose the tank with something to be, what's the best treatment for this again? Only recently through bunch of meds out recently too cos they were expired.

My water parameters are healthy I did add more sand the other night possibly stress related. Only seems to be the Cichilids affected.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Sixo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 17:48 pm Yeah had a feeling they wouldn't last long, I suspect they've brought a parasite with them too they and the keyholes have started to flicker a bit don't know if it's coincidental or not but I better dose the tank with something to be, what's the best treatment for this again? Only recently through bunch of meds out recently too cos they were expired.

My water parameters are healthy I did add more sand the other night possibly stress related. Only seems to be the Cichilids affected.
Can you just drop a clove of peeled garlic in the tank? How long can you leave it in for?
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Garlic could be helpful in supressing the number of pathogens in the tankwater, but ...

Unless you have a very large tank, a whole clove is likely to be too much at one go ; and dropping in a whole clove isn't perhaps the right way to do it.

The active ingredient (in context) of garlic is allicin. Somewhat puzzlingly, though, whole garlic contains no allicin ! Rather, it contains the ingredients to make it. The ingredients are stored in different cells, and it's only when the structure of a clove is disrupted that the ingredients can mix together. So ...

Cut (say) a quarter of a clove. Crush it with the flat of a knife - chop it up a bit too, if you like. Leave it five or ten minutes for the reaction that forms allicin to happen, then put the lot (juice an' all) into the tank. There's no need to remove it at a later time so far as I'm aware.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Sounds like a plan, how often can you do this till things clear? Once a week or so?
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

When I played with garlic I was copying what someone else had done who reported subsequent problems. He used an awful lot of garlic and (as I discovered) it seriously compromised the dissolved oxygen concentration in the tank ; hence the advice not to use a whole clove!

I don't think I have info on how long this effect might persist - I'd have to try to find my original posts (on another forum) to check. But my hunch is that (say) a quarter-clove once-a-week in (say, again!) a 200-litre tank should be OK for a while, reverting to once-a-month or so if-and-when the fish return to normal. If fish show signs of oxygen deprivation after dosing with garlic, then water-change.

Garlic is a very general prophylactic, much in the same vein as using Catappa or oak leaves, or alder cones. If it were possible to identify the specific problem in the tank, dosing garlic doesn't preclude the use of a medication specifically to target that problem (though I probably wouldn't use both at the same time, just in case).
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I use garlic twice a week for six weeks when I quarantine, but probably only a quarter of a clove as it's a small tank.....if you have a few inhabitants then half a clove should be ok. ;)