VikingMummy combined tank logs

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Serious mess up and feeling horribly guilty.
So, when I got my new filter (in an attempt to improve life for my fish), I discovered that power had been intermittent to not at all thanks to plugging it into a particular socket on the extension. Fixed it, tested, water change etc But my testing didn’t pick up on anything being amiss. I assumed the minnow I lost was age. So I added the cories and SafeStart just to be extra safe. 48 hours later, ammonia was showing up. Water change, double dose of Prime, air stone. Lost the last minnow. Another 24 hours and ammonia plus a touch of nitrites. More Prime. As of just now I have an entirely empty tank. So I clearly completely killed my filter.
I seem to be more upset than my son, but he’s adamant we keep the tank.
So....good time to start over me thinks. Again.
I don’t have any ammonia to hand but will order some in....it’s been almost 3 years since I first cycled a tank so that’s my homework for the afternoon.
I have 30L, with a good filter (when I don’t kill off the bacteria), black sand substrate, happy to add new plants or maybe do something a bit different, have a heater or can do temperate. Hit me with ideas so I don’t give up! I did love my Betta previously but this filter would be far too strong and I’m going to use the damn thing now i’ve purchased it. I feel terrible because I was trying to make a better tank and this has happened.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Sorry for your losses and to hear of the filter issues VM :(
When you swapped the filters how did you do it?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Sorry to hear. :(
We all make mistakes though.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I literally switched the media from my homemade air pump powered filter into the new one in a bucket during a water change (tank water in the bucket). Left over filter noodles went back in the tank in the old filter container too (remember my Harry Potter cauldron mug?). Originally I had one outlet valve on the filter, but it was too strong for the minnows. I unplugged it, switched it over to the trickle bar attachment, plugged it back in but into the dodgy socket by mistake (got my ends muddled). The new filter is so quiet I just didn’t notice it wasn’t working properly.
I’ve ordered the ammonia but it won’t arrive until Friday evening. So i’ll use the time to give everything a good clean (was getting a lot of brown diatoms taking over, which also prompted me towards a better filter) and have a think about what I want to go for. My boy likes a bit of action and colour (he doesn’t really notice the tank otherwise). He was enjoying the cories (I love them too) but don’t know if i’d manage cories and a top/mid swimmer too. Filter says turnover of 150-480l/h suitable for 30-60L tanks and this is 29L.
For those who don’t know me: Soft water, pH around 6.4-6.6. Had great success previously with my 240L tank (don’t have room for anything bigger, literally the only space I have fits a nano tank), including an accidental rummynose tetra fry, various Chili Rasbora and I loved my pearl gouramis....
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

You could have one of the pretty dwarf corys like hastatus with a small fish like badis who can be brightly coloured. I keep gold tetras with my pygmeus, but they aren't as yellow as I hoped - however the pygmies do shoal with them.
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

Sorry for your losses ! Seems like you did everything right, just plain hard luck.

Could you not baffle the filter outlet with some Sponge and then go with the Betta ?
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

SxAqua wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:27 am Sorry for your losses ! Seems like you did everything right, just plain hard luck.

Could you not baffle the filter outlet with some Sponge and then go with the Betta ?
It’s an option...but I think my boy responds best/at all to a busier tank with some colour and activity. Maybe in a few years again, once he’s older.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4202 times

fill it with guppies! :P
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

fr499y wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:33 pm fill it with guppies! :P
Soft water.....we did try them a while back for my pre-teens but it was such a faff with the Replenish etc. I’m sticking to something I *know* works....even if that ends up being neon tetra!

So far, after an afternoon browsing Rachel o’Leary videos, i’m liking the look of neon green tetra and sparkling gourami (not necessarily at the same time). I did look into the scarlet Badis but i’m a bit wary if they start getting territorial. I did like my chilli Rasbora before, but they were too good at hiding (I honestly thought i only had 4 or 5 left....until I emptied the tank for selling and all 15 were still there!).

Also trying to work out how to get more height in the planting. Vallisneria didn’t do well in the 240L as our water is soooooo soft. At the moment i’ve rescued the Anubias and java ferns, and a big clump of java moss and they’re looking much healthier for a good clean. I think most of the nano fish like a bit of cover unless they’re a schooling species.
Lots to consider over the next month or so as it cycles again.
I did a clever though....I think....and moved the filter output so it’s trickling out towards the glass along the width of the tank, leaving a much larger swimming space unaffected by high flow. Maybe?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Badis males usually only get territorial with each other, so one male will be ok with several females.