VikingMummy combined tank logs

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

1.2ml ammonia added so the cycle starts!
I’m now trying to decide if I want a bonsai tree, a big root tangle or rocks....I definitely didn’t think about aesthetics when I bought the enormous (compared to what i’m used to) filter 🤣. I’ve had to switch over the heater too as this one hasn’t survived 18 months in storage. So it’s standard Hidom heater in that back corner now.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Sorry to hear about the fish, but interested to see what you do with this tank now!

What kind of bonsai tree would go in a tank?! I’ve never heard of that before. Oh wait! Would you make one with branches and moss?
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Ruth wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 23:03 pm Sorry to hear about the fish, but interested to see what you do with this tank now!

What kind of bonsai tree would go in a tank?! I’ve never heard of that before. Oh wait! Would you make one with branches and moss?
You can buy them ready carved from driftwood, and just add moss. Although now i’m not so sure. I have spent all evening watching aquascaping demos etc on YouTube, George Farmer etc. So i’ve already decided where to move my filter. It seems kinda obvious now I think about it 🤦🏽‍♀️. But now I have to decide if i’m going for cories or carpeting plants. My mum is giving me birthday money next month so i’m not worrying about budget at all, which is nice. I want something that’s all me. Realised earlier that every previous tank, even though I was the one doing *all* the work, it was my ex who had the deciding vote and holding the purse strings.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

If you go with some sort of bonsai tree (which I think would look really good in this tank), I could imagine lots of colourful shrimp in there.

Or something fluorescent green like https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/m ... o-kubotai/ :)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

So....total change of plan 🤣. I’ve got funds, I figure now is as good a time as any to upgrade and get a much better tank! I have *exactly* 50cm width to work with....so a Fluval Flex 57L would definitely be an option. Or do I go totally all out and get an Oase Styleline *gulp*.
The nano will get moved into a bedroom where i’m less fussed about looks!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Happy days! ::thumb::

Go with the biggest tank you can afford and accommodate, the rest will fall into place. Are you thinking of buying brand new or are you also looking at 2nd hand tanks, leaving you more to spend on either tech upgrade or livestock or decor...?
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Watching with interest! I think as big as you have the space for and can afford and whatever calls you!! 😁❤️
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Eeek...57L Fluval Flex and stand are ordered from Maidenhead/Fishkeeper Scotland. I did take a look for secondhand but it was too much hassle (nobody bothers giving proper measurements or descriptions!). Given it’s a very specific, precisely 50cm space, I figured it was just as well getting the right tank for the space. Tomorrow’s task will be moving the 29L through to the kitchen (decided the bedrooms don’t get used enough to merit having a second tank there). It’s on day 4 since adding the initial 4ppm ammonia and is holding steady at “holy moly that’s green”. Now i’m off to search through YouTube for more helpful tutorials etc so I can start remembering some of the basics!
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

My shopping list: Tropica soil (6L) plus 3L Tropica soil powder (better for the 1-2 grow pots to allow rooting). Aquascaper complete plant food (I now remember I was dosing weekly TNC complete in the months before the big tank went but this looks a bit easier for daily dosing). 10kg dragon rock. 6 Assorted pieces of redmoor wood (love the colour it goes). Tweezers and scissors.
And tonight i’m hoping to finalise my plant choices (although stocks seem to be running low of the obvious options in the obvious retailers!). Heater; don’t know whether to go for another Aquael or upgrade to Fluval E series.
And I’m going to have to go back through the months to remind myself if I did end up dosing pot bicarbonate regularly or not. I know the tank was looking fantastic with whatever it was I was doing!
29L tank is now in the kitchen and i’ll check it tomorrow to see how green the ammonia is (I turned the heater up to 26 just to give it a hand). It’s nice to have my fish mojo back and finally have the funds to get it right.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

We want plenty of pics mind.

Does the flex not come with a heater? If not just use the one you have if it fits. More money for plants. And if your struggling to find plants horizon aquatics had plenty a few days ago. You can order on their site to be delivered.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.