What are these green spiky things in my tank?

Request information on fish, corals or other marine aquarium issues.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:53 pm
Redpanda wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 21:35 pm Ohhh and there was me panicking about finding bladder snail in my tank 🙈🙈 this is terrifying 😂😂
Try looking up bobbit worms :D
That’s a nice one to remind me of just before I head to bed....could be some fun dreams tonight! Probably the only aquatic creature not to feature in an episode of Octonauts (small child’s programme for those without small children).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=refnOdW49rw

😱😱😱

I genuinely didn’t know these were a thing 🙈
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Redpanda wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 23:16 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=refnOdW49rw

😱😱😱

I genuinely didn’t know these were a thing 🙈
That's terrifying :sick:
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Fascinating things!

The nudibranch I mean, not that other thing that I'm trying to forget.

Had a read and a Google- whilst that article is pretty damning stuff, the one in your tank looks like it's from the berghia family which is at least one that is possible (maybe not probable) to keep with other living things
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Danmassey wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:09 am the one in your tank looks like it's from the berghia family
This is a berghia ( aiptasia eating nudi )

The spines on body are too long. Its a soft polyp eating nudi :P Look at the colour under blue lights. The tips are green ( the same as GSP/Zoas tend to be )

Or if not then it could be a Eubranchus rupium

Either way, its not a berghia and will most likely be munching on coral somewhere! take a look under the heads of coral or near the base. You might find egg sacks and/or more of them.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Maybe they were keeping the Bobbits for Prince Andrew's next visit to Woking? ;) :D

Some of the marine stuff is very obnoxious (or as I say "Burn the witches!").....
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

I really enjoyed keep marines for the random wildlife that you get. Yeah some of it is a bit scary to think about, but thats nature for you! One scary SOAB
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Greetings from 🇨🇵 :] & welcome to AF-UK

If these are Berghia Nudibranch species they can be kept but with caution. I had two small white Nudibranch (species unknown) in my 130 gallon reef and yes they will eat Aiptasia but within six months I was inundated with them. With no Aiptasia left in my aquarium to eat, these Nudibranch start eating anything else that took their fancy, corals being on the top of their menu! :dodgy2:

They all disappeared after I added my Copperband Butterflyfish but this is no guarantee as a friend had one of these fish in his reef but his Copperband showed no interest in the Nudibranchs he had in his aquarium.

I have read that is believed that some Bristleworms species will attack these and consume them, but if that was the case I had very lazy worms. So few species will remove them that we can keep in a home reef aquarium and those that do, like a small reef octopus will eat just about everything else that you don't want consumed.

Word of warning, care is a must when handling these creatures as their toxins can cause irritation of the skin or worse.

Oh and Gentleman, if you get Bristleworm spines in the tips of your fingers, don't go to the toilet for a wee.... Trust me, you will regret it! :[
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

fr499y wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:15 am

Either way, its not a berghia and will most likely be munching on coral somewhere! take a look under the heads of coral or near the base. You might find egg sacks and/or more of them.
Fair enough - I was just approximating the shapes to Google images! Some of the other non berghia species look so different, I thought the similarities were pretty close (as a layperson).