The Zebra Pleco Tank (L046)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:51 am
Stephen wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:10 am

Do you have a non-return valve on the air line? Is it the correct way around?
If it was the wrong way round, it would stop the airflow wouldnt it?
In theory yes but sometimes they get stuck. ;]
Not having a non-return valve could lead to water escaping, hence my question. ;]
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

True. Stuck open the wrong way round, possible :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

Si4geckos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:47 am Small VS the big one :)

Stunning.
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Just caught up and looks amazing. Hope the water issue has stopped (worst nightmare)
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

Stephen wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:10 am
Si4geckos wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 19:26 pm Can't quite work out where the water came from or why. Maybe it was just too full? Water just touched the central brace bar. Not has about 10mm clearance. Annoying. Anyone else with a Juwel, how full do you have it? Had any similar issues?
Hi Si

Do you have a non-return valve on the air line? Is it the correct way around?
I recently added air pumps, air lines etc.. to my aquariums and had one non-return valve the wrong way around, reversed it and all was well.

I have a new Juwel Lido 120 and the water level is up to the wood effect canopy, you can't see the water line.
On my big tank the water level is the same, up to the wood effect canopy so that you don't quite see the water line.
I can just make out the water line if I look very closely.

Just a thought
I did wonder that first. The airline does have a non-return valve, but I didn't check the direction to be honest. The air stone was working full-pelt initially so I wonder if it was stuck open in reverse and then closed at some point. The air pump doesn't seem strong on that outlet any more so wondering if the blockage may have damaged the pump/ diaphragm inside. I've just left the other outlet attached for now and it's annoyingly noisey, but functional for the sponge filter at least.

No water leakage I can see since I've re-instated the tank. I probably had the water 1-2cm over the wood canopy bottom so probably just that. The water was definitely coming down the side of the glass tank, then the stand and into where the air pump was eventually, so hoping I'm all good now!
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:23 am Has the "full mark" been removed?
There should be one just above (a matter of a couple of millimetres) the bottom of the top "wood".

I've been looking at this thread for weeks now trying to work out what's wrong and I've just got it! Tigers are Asian, and I don't think there's ever been a record of them being found in Africa, although there is (or at least was) an Asian lion.......
I'll have a look for a full mark. That would be very helpful!

Dammit, I knew someone would look into the legitimacy of the tank! Tigers may be extinct in here soon too...
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

So I may have done a 'thing' on Tuesday. As I've had notifications of plecs and 397s popping up all over the place, I came accross someone selling x2 pairs of pretty much adults and someone else selling a 2yr old one that they thought was female. Off I went!

Quarantine tank is again full of tigers, but this time, big ones! Ended up buying one of the pairs and the big female. If my original one is a male (and I'm pretty sure it is now) that leaves me with x2 adult pairs. Which means I may be rehoming the other 6 younger ones.

I've also rethought the Serengeti (and not just after Planktons observation!). After speaking to the guy who sold me the 397pair, we chatted about them and his zebra plecs (13 of them!). He got his zebras about the same time I got mine, but his are about 50-80% bigger than mine. He told me about (very expensive) high protein food to feed them, but if the 397s ate it, they'd get bloat, wouldn't be able to digest it and not last long.

Sooooo.... my new thoughts are:
Keep the serengeti tank as a zebra only tank (plec wise) like my original plan. During todays water changing I also put in 11 cardinals out the big tank. They just hide under the bright light, so if they do better in the gloom, then they'd be my dither fish. Plus the zebras pop agains the dark substrate and the 397s vanish into the darkness.
I'd sell the 6 younger 397s I got (may keep a couple just in case) and then when the new 397 adult tigers are through quarantine, the big tank would be their home. The orange pops better in the brighter light and against the sand.

This would leave me with a zebra and cardinal tank and a tiger(y) big community tank.

Thoughts welcome.

PS - did a check all round the tank today and all water seems to have remained on the inside! Win! But keep those fingers crossed please....
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Here's a couple of pics of my original 397 beauty today. Took him out to check his vent and make sure of gender. Looks like a boy to me :)

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Sounds like a plan Si. :D
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Si4geckos wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 15:34 pm Here's a couple of pics of my original 397 beauty today. Took him out to check his vent and make sure of gender. Looks like a boy to me :)

A real beauty Si ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)