JF's fry tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

Similar to @Ricrhys £10!

New tank for fry!

And with them came these guys.. rescued from the guys neon tetra tank at 26.5c!
He did say he knee they shouldn't be in an aquarium and he has a pond but I think was closing it down.

Btw I'm only housing them here overnight and dropping the temperature to 23. And no the fry are not going in yet.
Tomorrow they'll go to my parents' who have a pond though my better half now wants some like them haha! Bring on the kribs/cockatoos if she wants bigger fish!

Slightly concerned about 2 things
1. I used half the sponge filter I have in the smaller tank - will this be enough to get the tank cycled? (Stability dosed in both)
2. Will they get a temperature shock going into the pond tomorrow?
Imm thinking about turning the heater off tonight and letting them gradually

I'm hoping they'll be ok...
Last edited by jammedfool on Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

I’d switch the heater off now and let the tank gradually cool overnight so it’s a more gradual transition, but I don’t know for sure. It just makes the most sense to me.
If it’s just overnight, and you can do a slightly cooler water change first thing, I wouldn’t worry massively about the filtration. The Stability will help, but definitely monitor your other tank given the sudden decrease in bacteria for its load.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
jammedfool

Ok heater is off
I'll do water changes tomorrow and as you say monitor the other tank
Hoping these bigguns will be ok with 2 moves in a short space of time I noticed they have quite red gills but not sure if that's just their colouration.

Fun times!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Do a water change today anyway, just to make sure they're ok before the second move. ;)
jammedfool

Definitely!
I tested both tanks

The established one seems fine but I see a small ammonia reading and nitrite too on the goldfish one.

Top: Goldies, bottom: guppies/pygmaeus

Prime, stability in both this morning and a water change will be happening very shortly!

Guppy fry may have to wait while the tank cycled properly!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

depending on how many fry, you might find it’s cycled enough for them. Goldies produce a LOT of waste, especially compared to fry. But water changes while the goldies are in residence (probably gone by now) and then see if 1ppm ammonia gets munched. Probably best aiming for 2ppm but hopefully isn’t going to take very long.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
jammedfool

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 20:15 pm depending on how many fry, you might find it’s cycled enough for them. Goldies produce a LOT of waste, especially compared to fry. But water changes while the goldies are in residence (probably gone by now) and then see if 1ppm ammonia gets munched. Probably best aiming for 2ppm but hopefully isn’t going to take very long.
Thanks VM
They're gone now and hopefully their first night in the pond will not be too much of a shock! I went to oversee the proceedings and they swam off and hid away after being floated and acclimatised to the water butt water my dad used to top the pond up, then gently released into the pond. At least there will be plenty of room for them! They seemed quite stressed in the small tank

Now I have another problem.. my old filter (I mean like 10+ years and it was a cheapo sponge one) packed in somehow while I did that 50% swap of the media.
The tank has been fine and I just checked the parameters with no I'll effect being unfiltered for 12hr it seems. Was working fine when I swapped and then I noticed the bubbles had stopped

So now I need another filter for the fry tank! Gah! Amazon... Or marketplace again... Wife will not be amused!

Oh.. and about 30 fry ::shifty::
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Glad you got them moved ok. :)
Hope you find a replacement filter.
jammedfool

Picked up a used filter for £10

Space certainly limited now in the small tank xD

I will swap it to the slightly larger tank once cycled! Found space for small sponges and stuck half of the cycled media(from broken filter) and half of the sponge from the new small filter that came with this tank
Hopefully that will kickstart things a bit but as VM said, I'll be keeping an eye on the guppy tank

As the filter is so much bigger, would you recommend cycling from scratch or will the sponge I transferred do enough for 20L as it had been half of the 40L media? No idea whether there is any bacteria left in this filter

Either way should be a fun few weeks seeing what we get with the guppies!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

Well after a few days, I have 0 nitrite.

Added 0.5ml (2ppm) ammonia tonight and will see what we get tomorrow.
Presumably, if the filter can handle 2ppm of ammonia in a tank half the size, it will still handle 2ppm ammonia in the same way in the full sized one?
I mean the amount of ammonia may be higher at the same ppm, but the toxicity should reduce at the same rate?
Don't want to upset the established tank but having the bigger filter in there seems more sensible
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss