Praecox rainbows.. what is going on!?

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

F3l1ss wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 14:44 pm I've had and got tumours in rainbows too.
So it's relatively common in comparison to most other community species then.......(not sure if that's rhetorical or not?)
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unhelpfully I will add my name to the list of folks with lumpy praecox rainbows
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

thanks @F3l1ss and @Danmassey

Not even the slightest change in size of the lump so far... Knowing this seems to be a common problem makes me feel a little better if it is "just" a tumour
As mentioned, it looks like it is directly on a muscle that would be moving the pectoral fins, but there's no sign that it is inhibiting her swimming at all. If its something eating away at the muscle, I think it'd be noticable in swimming/general behaviour. So a growth of some kind in my non-medical brain would seem to make sense

At least the tank is treated for flukes now! Online lockdown tropco order may be on the cards...

Cherries seem fine, I think the females are just getting a little tired, so I want to get the breeding project underway soon which should hopefully enable me to add a few extra to spread out the chasing more.
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

On the other hand...
Just noticed a lump on a second rainbow as I was checking it out because it was swimming alone mid tank with find fairly clamped while the others aren't

Won't let me upload a pic for some reason but this one is by the tail fin, right at the point where the fin meets the body.

Stranger and stranger...

Edit:
Hope it's ok to post from another forum but this looks a little similar and was recommended to use anti internal bacteria

https://www.fishforums.net/threads/lump ... sh.432242/
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

You could try it, but I don't think it will help.
A tumour isn't curable, unless you can afford the extreme costs for a vet to attempt, but they're so small it would probably pass anyway.....they will operate on big fancy fish though.
jammedfool

So.. now the one I noticed with a bit of a bulge on the tail has one on the left pectoral as well
Is this a coincidental tumour or more likely an internal problem?

3 girls together

I'll get a pic of the other side when she turns around, always swimming right!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

Extra update... Original dodgy bulge fin praecox is no longer using the fin... Esha gdex hasn't done anything by the looks of it

Worth doing a water change and trying anti internal?
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

It's difficult to say what to do.
I'm not sure anything will fix this. :(
It would be useful to know what the water parameters were where they were spawned and raised and the difference between that and yours.
Some problems can show themselves more because of different waters that fish are kept in.(e.g.dwarf gourami and iridovirus)
jammedfool

I think I'll try the interpet anti internal, if nothing else it will rule that out too
The only other thing I can think of is how I've reused some bogwood and gravel from the previous owner. The other week I moved the bogwood... maybe something was disturbed into the water column? but then my cherries seem fine... Also for completeness, there has been some weird fungus growing on the bogwood... sort of looks like a hairy mushroom. I imagined it would clear within a few weeks, but still there. Again, cherries all fine.

Not sure on spawning/raising water params, but they were in the same section as guppies/mollies/swords etc. so I think probably harder water, though I did ask about their water before and for some other stock they said the water is soft. Are rainbowfish generally susceptible to illness?

They're eating fine, doing everything fine (apart from that one fin which is now a little constricted), its just like it's all a bit of an inconvenience to them. Slightly clamped fins I suppose but then they obviously have something wrong so that doesnt help
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

The lumps by the tail fin seem to be an issue for several others and one of mine had a growth there :/
Small tank - 125L - 7 Corydoras sterbai, 2 Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi