Bathtime!

Food, feeding and diet.
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Yes. I used to bring some Daphnia inside to overwinter, but now I just let them regenerate outside when the weather's warm enough for their ephippia to hatch. Likewise blackworm - I didn't know when I first got them whether they would survive being (nearly) frozen - they do ; though I also have a culture indoors because it's a very popular menu item. Asellus are fine through the Winter, too, and I can easily catch loads whenever I need to resupply my tanks with them.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Triumph-Rat wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 16:01 pm
Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 amHorse chestnuts are supposed to repel them although i dont know how exactly.
Free range geckos in bathrooms also work well for keeping the numbers down ::thumb::
Only ever seen them when we’ve been in Majorca :D
I love seeing them :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 17:44 pm
Triumph-Rat wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 16:01 pm
Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 amHorse chestnuts are supposed to repel them although i dont know how exactly.
Free range geckos in bathrooms also work well for keeping the numbers down ::thumb::
Only ever seen them when we’ve been in Majorca :D
I love seeing them :)
@Gingerlove05 I had a few house geckos get out of a tank while someone (my Mum!!!) was looking after them while I was away.

Kept trying to catch them but they could always find somewhere I couldn't get at them like behind pipework, under bath etc

In the end I just left them to it and then rounded them all up with some help when we moved.
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

@Vale! I've always meant to ask, do you get much bother from the adult forms of the food, midges and flies and such? Or do they just lay and leave?
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

I've not noticed any plague-like invasions of the house by mozzies or gnats - I guess some may venture in when the patio doors are open on that particular day which is Summer, though.

Mozzie larvae occasionally hatch in tanks if they've been lucky enough to find somewhere to hide - and even luckier to survive as pupae! It's very rare that one flies out of a tank when its lid is opened.

Microworm cultures tend to attract fruit flies - but my defences are strong, so they aren't able to get access to the yeasty gloop. And anyway i blame them on Mrs. V!'s bananas.