media life expectancy & changing layout etc?

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Chadders
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 40 times

My new filter has arrived :D The current filters contain mature media I need to cycle my new filter before removing the two I currently use.

My question is roughly how long does bacteria live for without the normal operation of water flow and food in the from of bacteria etc?

I need to remove the internal Juwel filter which is currently siliconed to the glass, remove existing substrate and rocks give the glass a good clean add a new backing while the tank is empty meaning I can easily move it.

My plan is to get everything ready for the new layout use some existing rock, add the new substrate, wood, and plants etc Then keep one filter going and remove the media from the other which includes Seachem Matrix and then keep testing the water until all good levels and the right PH & hardness before introducing new fichetc.

I can use another heater I've got to keep the water warm for the bacteria.
So thoughts? experience of completely changing the tank layout and filter replacement? good ,bad experience also risk of potentially introducing any nasties that could be in the existing media rock or substrate
I know I'm not asking much :grin: ::thumbu::
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Well, I had a 10.5 hour power cut in the summer and my filters didn’t die off. It might take you a bit longer, but just transfer the filters over to a large plastic storage crate and run them in there as a temporary tank. You can always grab a wee bottle of Stability to help boost them (I add a capful after any filter maintenance, Stephen does too).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Why don't you just put your current media in the new filter and run it in a bucket or wherever you're putting the fish?
I am presuming you do have fish....... ;)
Chadders

plankton wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:13 am Why don't you just put your current media in the new filter and run it in a bucket or wherever you're putting the fish?
I am presuming you do have fish....... ;)
That's pretty much what I'm going to do. I think I was just over thinking and over complicating matters. I can do the whole new layout and clean the tank in a few hours. Then just wait for everything to settle and yes put new fish in :swim: :tongue:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

You could still use the Stability/Safestart to help the "munchers" deal with the move. :)
Chadders

is it wise or necessary to to test if my munchers are still working. I was thinking of adding some ammonia to the tank to see if it gets reduced to zero. If so how much would be a good amount for 260ish Lt? Obv before any fish get added
Cheers
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I wouldn't put more than whatever makes up 1ppm. (It'll be around 2.5ml ;) )
Look under the "Resource" tab for the ammonia calculator. ;)
Chadders

plankton wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:16 am I wouldn't put more than whatever makes up 1ppm. (It'll be around 2.5ml ;) )
Look under the "Resource" tab for the ammonia calculator. ;)
thanks Plankton I knew I'd seen the calculator somewhere just couldn't think where ::thumbu::
Chadders

I've tested my water and its at .50ppm Ammonia and 0 Nitrite I think I'm happy with everything else. I put 1mm ammonia in so I'll see how I get on with that. I've been adding stability but only one dose so far.