Unipac Black Limpopo sand..

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Always pre-rinse sand before using it to remove the dust.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Thanks everyone, really helpful

The cabinet and tank surround will be white so a darker substrate could look quite effective... I think they've used dark in the one that's set up in the shop.

I still really like the look of the Maui sand I linked to... And Pro Shrimp said it would be fine for Cory's when I specifically asked...

What I don't want is a tank that looks dark and dismal 🤔. Especially as I'm crap with plants!!
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

@Chadders definitely rinse it! And then rinse it again and again. It's not as mucky as some sands but you'll need to wash it before adding unless you like the cloudy look and a clogged up filter look!
I added some to my 10L bucket, ran it under the tap for ages, stirring it with my hand/arm for a good twenty to thirty minutes each bucket. My arm felt like it was falling off by the end of 20kg! But my tank was totally clear from the get go.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

its deffo more grey, as for rinsing I didn't bother as I was doing a fishless cycle , just used kitchen roll to lift off anything that was floating on the surface after it had settled for a while and before turning the filters on.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

@WinterRose73
WinterRose73 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am I still really like the look of the Maui sand
You'll find the Unipac Maui sand too light, trust me. (see image below)
I would go with a more natural sand such as Unipac Samoa fine sand or for a contrast the Unipac Limpopo sand..
I use the Unipac Samoa fine sand in both my aquariums.

(click image to enlarge)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)