Stephen's 120L tank log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

They do spread very quickly, I've almost got half a tank full of Silvinia Natans that I bought from a tropica 1-2-grow pot about 4 weeks ago so it would most likely need clearing every couple of weeks for a planted tank. I think I've read something that they outcompete regular plants for nutrients, however I'd need to do some reading to verify that.

My reason for having them would be very different to yours I guess, so it may not work together that well. I think MD fish tanks on YouTube mixes floaters with regular plants, it may be worth a watch to see the ratio of floaters vs "planted" he uses.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Stephen wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 19:40 pm
Suse wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 19:07 pm Sorry if you mentioned this already, but what about a layer of floating plants to effectively dim the light getting to the rest of the tank?
Thanks Suse
Ben (BigBen) mentioned floating plants earlier in my tank log.
I have considered some floating plants but would be afraid that the plants below would be deprived of light.
I am quite pleased on how well my Alternathera reineckii 'mini' is growing and would not want to upset this plant by partially blocking light.
The thought of floating plants will remain in the back of my mind if everything else fails. So thank you for the suggestion.
When you next consider floating plants and how much light they block remember my kitchen tank. Its usually almost covered with salvinia and my plants grow in here. And that's under the little led tube light fitted in the lid.

Salvinia is the easiest to control I think thanks to smaller individual plants. And if you want to try some give me a shout and I'll put some in the post.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Stephen wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 13:35 pm I have just ordered some new plants to replace the ones covered in algae.
Hopefully they'll be here Wednesday or Thursday.
The new plants were despatched Monday and they have not arrived yet (it's now Friday).
I hope they arrive safely tomorrow (Saturday), I'm getting a little concerned.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Stephen wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 15:35 pm
Stephen wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 13:35 pm I have just ordered some new plants to replace the ones covered in algae.
The new plants were despatched Monday and they have not arrived yet (it's now Friday).
No delivery today (Saturday) either :(

The order was placed with Aqua Essentials, I emailed them yesterday.
Their reply was:-
I’ve been dealing with many delays this last week thanks to Royal Mail - they had major issues which are clearing slowly. Your parcel is delayed with many others.
Try not to worry though

When your plants do arrive, remove them from their pots and rock wool and float them in your tank for 48 hours. This allows them to recover and then you can plant them after this. Floating them makes a HUGE difference as they can absorb plenty of CO2 and O2 before they get dunked underwater forever.
It may be worth while to avoid Aqua Essentials at the present time.
I personally think they are making excuses and blaming Royal Mail but I have had no problems with Royal Mail (ever).
My recommendation would be Pro Shrimp for plants etc.. My recent deliveries from Pro Shrimp have been spot on and deliveries have been quick.
I would normally recommend Aquarium Gardens but stocks have been low there, many plants are "Out of Stock" (see link below).
https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/backg ... s-29-c.asp
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Stephen wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 pm
Stephen wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 15:35 pm
No delivery today (Saturday) either :(

The order was placed with Aqua Essentials, I emailed them yesterday.
Their reply was:-
I’ve been dealing with many delays this last week thanks to Royal Mail - they had major issues which are clearing slowly. Your parcel is delayed with many others.
Try not to worry though

When your plants do arrive, remove them from their pots and rock wool and float them in your tank for 48 hours. This allows them to recover and then you can plant them after this. Floating them makes a HUGE difference as they can absorb plenty of CO2 and O2 before they get dunked underwater forever.
It may be worth while to avoid Aqua Essentials at the present time.
I personally think they are making excuses and blaming Royal Mail but I have had no problems with Royal Mail (ever).
My recommendation would be Pro Shrimp for plants etc.. My recent deliveries from Pro Shrimp have been spot on and deliveries have been quick.
I would normally recommend Aquarium Gardens but stocks have been low there, many plants are "Out of Stock" (see link below).
https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/backg ... s-29-c.asp
I had noticed their stock issues. Being stuck in self-isolation I was going to buy some stuff from them, but they didn't have what I wanted. Glad I didn't!

It seems like an odd response to go straight to blaming royal mail, rather than an apology. Even if it's out of courtesy and it's genuinely isn't their fault. Hopefully the plants are in good condition.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Stephen wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 pm I personally think they are making excuses and blaming Royal Mail but I have had no problems with Royal Mail (ever).
I've had several issues with royal mail recently. Our local sorting office must have had an outbreak or a lot of people quarantining because we were on two day a week service practically.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

I was hoping to have the new plants planted by now, nevermind.
I have given the 120L aquarium a clean today, got rid of the algae and cleaned half the filter, I also removed the algae covered plants, so I'm all ready for new plants.
I just hope they arrive Monday if not I'll be looking for a refund and will reorder elsewhere (Pro Shrimp).