Wiggles tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Sounds like it is the lack of flow causing it then.
Wiggles
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 209 times

Ordered myself an inkbird temperature controller as keep reading about people having heaters go wrong so seems like a good investment for £35.

Still deciding what to do substrate and plants wise, might do my son's Betta tank first as a trial run
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

I had an electric aquarium vac and got rid of it, didn't like it at all, much prefer the wafting method @plankton mentions.
With the algae in the substrate, what about a kid's rake, get them with a bucket and spade beach set. I use to level out sometimes.
Wiggles

I just struggle to get the required suction with the Syphon, stuff goes into the Syphon then just falls out
again rather than through the hose...
Rake seems like a good idea!

Got the inkbird set up now so have temperature alarms etc.

Have quite a few apps on my phone that now control
My tanks, I'm a bit of a gadget nerd
Done some checking on aqvisor and they say 24-26°C for my stocking I usually had it at 26.5ish so might lower slightly, stock says I'm at about 58%

Currently have
12 cardinal tetra
11 rummynose tetras
4 panda Cory's
2 Bolivian rams
1 bristlenose pleco
1 marbled hatchet fish

The hatchet fish is the last of the 6 I had when I first set up my first tank but I don't really want anymore... I will get some more corys but they seem to be considerably more expensive lately, looking at maybe another type of tetra, lemon maybe?

And maybe another group of a different Cory, the rams are very territorial with each other (despite being male and female, not signs of them breeding) but don't care about the other fish at all... Burly worried anything else big or similar type would cause problems
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

You need to swap the pandas for sterbai really at the temps you're running, pandas really don't like it above 22C long-term.
The rest will be ok at 26C, the BN may metabolise quicker than normal, but they seem to cope ok.
Lemons will be ok at that temp as well.
Wiggles

Thanks for the advice got plenty of time to decide anyway with lockdown and my favourite LFS is closed at the moment anyway.

Next update was replacing the glass sliding lids with acrylic, the glass was heavy and didn't slide well across each other and one had a corner chipped off so was worried it was going to break more and end up with glass in the tank...

Put off Changing until I had an LED light as the old tubes possibly would have warped acrylic from the heat but the fluval light runs nice and cool.

Also got a black piece to cover the front of the Weir so you can't see the pipes which was always the ugliest part of the tank, temporarily held in place by magnetic glass cleaner until I decide how to attach it more permanently.

Wiggles

That time of week again, I removed the magnets and the black backing plastic appears to have decided to attach itself to the back of the tank by itself 🤷

Mounted the inkbird on the wall as can't go inside the cabinet unless I move it to get the wires behind and I didn't feel like shifting half a ton today

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Water tension is pretty strong ;)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Wiggles

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 20:41 pm Water tension is pretty strong ;)
Spoke to soon fell after a few minutes 😂

Have to find something more permanent
Wiggles

Spent half an our arm pit deep stood on a chair cleaning the glass, my (expired) AA card works surprisingly well 👍