So I have tried to make a sump for my tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

It's taking water from the tank by siphon. Its right on the edge so the siphon is breaking and the pump is puting the water back in so the siphon doesn't completely stop. It was easier as it was hard to get the siphon speed and return flow to match. What could go wrong? Lol probably a few things

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

What's it made of? If it's plastic I hope it's a food safe one..... ;)
JDQuinn
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Nice cheap solution. You could build on this by installing a couple of weirs to direct the flow of water through sponge filters and bio media for even greater effect.

Also make sure you have enough overflow capacity in the bucket to hold the volume of water that would build up if your pump quit.
Current Stock:
2 x boesmani rainbow
2 x unknown rainbow
1 x bristlenose pleco
2 x kribensis
1 x pentazona barb
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Are there 2 levels in that? Don't think it will work very well unless the water is forced to move through the media.

Is it a true siphon, or something similar? Google Durso stand pipe, that might work better for you. Doesn't need the siphon, it's more an overflow but much quieter than just a drain pipe.
MasonJ19

Yeah that's a food grade container was being used for water changes to the puffers but now its a sump ha. My idea for it wasn't so much to replace the canister filter. so I still have the fx4. The pump taking water back to the tank isn't that fast, it was being used to pump the tank water through a uv before I got rid of it which is when I thought of doing this with the pump really.
I have covered for every flood risk really.

The only thing that could go wrong is if the siphon stops for some reason the pump will burn out most likely, as you can see the intake for it is high in the sump so it doesn't flood the tank.

I was hoping to just to increase water volume, make it easier for carbon media and others. And maybe try to make a place for anerobic bacteria.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Might be good for anaerobic bacteria.

Look up Durso stand pipe, it's better than a siphon. It's an inverted U like a siphon but an airhole at the top so there's no siphon. No chance of flooding the place if the pump stops and won't burn out the pump because it doesn't need a continuous flow to work.
MasonJ19

We will see it was really just a spur of the moment experiment.
Ah yeah that looks interesting I might actually be able to make something like that with the old uv chamber thing.
MasonJ19

But it is a true siphon that's all thats pulling the water from the tank. It's not that clear but you can see where I have drilled the holes in the pipe where the water level is. So it's taking in air just enough to slow it draining so then the pump can pump it back to tank and keep it at that level. It's noisier but it works. So really If the pump stops the siphon stops.

Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

This is really interesting - i've often wondered if this could work
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
MasonJ19

Lee_k wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:12 pm This is really interesting - i've often wondered if this could work
It definitely works and is pretty safe in terms of avoiding a flood the only risk in this set up is to the pump if things fail but if there was a way that the pump could be either Automatically shut off when it starts to run dry or some sort of float switch for it. It would be 100% safe I think.