New light or new tank?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

So in a bit of a shock conversation, I was talking to OH about getting some replacement lights for the Juwel Rio and upgrading to LED as the ballast seems to be failing occasionally (possibly cat related). New LED ones seem expensive, so I have been looking at second hand.

With that in mind I have been watching items on eBay such as aquaskys or multilux LED to replace the fluorescent ones or at the very least, a nicrew. I also would like to upgrade the 40L light as I cant see a thing in there...

Then the wife comes out with 'why dont you just get a new tank?'
So my options may have now opened up! Obviously a new tank is going to be more costly than just lighting but I had been thinking about getting something a little larger and starting fresh as I went completely the wrong way about it. OH is happy about that... May open up stocking options a little though things are just stable now haha...

If I go for lighting now anyway, it'll be secondhand and depending in the right condition i would get a secondhand tank due to how expensive new ones are. I'd go for possibly 300L I think will fit in a similar space, with external filtration while I'm at it.

So... Am I going the right way about secondhand lights or am I better off getting a cheaper LED unit e.g nicrew if I plan on getting a new setup (later this year?)
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

quickly buy the tank before your wife changes her mind :) - Infact, buy 2 and beg forgiveness!

On the light, it depends what your after really, I wouldnt get anything too old tho as they wont last forever and it'll bug you if you get odd LED's failing
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I got Superfish replacement LEDs for the Trigon when the last bulbs went. About £90 as opposed to the cost of the Juwels..... ;)
They fit in the Juwel fittings but have their own power sources so you can just have one on, you don't need both all the time.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

@plankton
plankton wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 am I got Superfish replacement LEDs for the Trigon when the last bulbs went. About £90 as opposed to the cost of the Juwels..... ;)
They fit in the Juwel fittings but have their own power sources so you can just have one on, you don't need both all the time.
How do they work with their own power source?
Is there an individual switch or something?

Thanks
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)