Algae and Vallis

Afterburned
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 50 times

See signature for tank & stocking!
Two issues at present that I think might be related - some stringy algae and vallis does not seem to be doing too well.
The stringy algae (pretty sure that's what it is) is all over my Java Moss, if I try and remove it the moss pulls away from the bogwood, strong stuff.

The Vallis is not growing as fast as when I first put it in - haven't seen any runners for a while & leaves keep going brown & dropping off. The photos really make it look better than it is!

Routine:
Wed 20% water change & 1ml fert
Sat 40% water change & 2ml fert
Fert - fluval GRO+ https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/p ... trients-2/ (5ml for 250l according to the bottle)

Water stats:
ph: 8
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
KH: 6
GH: 21
(has stayed at that since I got fish in after a Dr. Tims cycle)
Tank is not in direct sunlight, LED (came with tank) is on 1600 - 2100.

Half the tank is gravel over Tetra Active Substrate (this is where the Vallis is) and the other half is sand.

Any advice?
Marina Vue 60l, EHEIM pickup 160
Java Fern, Java Moss, Echinodorus midifleur, Loads of Vallis, Frogbit?
3 red cherry, 3 fire red & 6 amano shrimp.
Guppys (1m 3f adult and many fry of different sizes!)
2 Dwarf Banjo Cats
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Oedogonium is the family name of algae and Hair Algae is what you have there, causes including low CO2, high amounts dissolved solids found in tap water, low nutrient levels plus ammonia spikes. Some say it's also it's a sign of low iron within the water column, others say not. Either way, if you can increase your waterchanges to 50% per week and dose ferts daily, (I'd try 1ml per day and dose at the start of your lighting period) your plants will recover and the algae will diminish as the plants out compete the algae for nutrients.

I struggled for years to ever get Vallis to grow well and there is a simple answer, this plant is very nutrient hungry and needs a constant supply, hence your lack of growth, brown leaves and eventually you will see the plant die back and rot away.

You can use a clean unused toothbrush to remove some of the hair algae in the meantime by hooking it away from the infected plant. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Afterburned

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 20:10 pm Oedogonium is the family name of algae and Hair Algae is what you have there, causes including low CO2, high amounts dissolved solids found in tap water, low nutrient levels plus ammonia spikes. Some say it's also it's a sign of low iron within the water column, others say not. Either way, if you can increase your waterchanges to 50% per week and dose ferts daily, (I'd try 1ml per day and dose at the start of your lighting period) your plants will recover and the algae will diminish as the plants out compete the algae for nutrients.

I struggled for years to ever get Vallis to grow well and there is a simple answer, this plant is very nutrient hungry and needs a constant supply, hence your lack of growth, brown leaves and eventually you will see the plant die back and rot away.

You can use a clean unused toothbrush to remove some of the hair algae in the meantime by hooking it away from the infected plant. :]
Thanks, more ferts it is then! Root tabs worth doing?
2 Dwarf Banjo Cats
Martinspuddle

Root tablets do work but not the best. You have no idea when they are exhausted or release too much fertiliser into the water column.

Stick to liquids, far easier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afterburned

I have been using TNC complete for a couple of weeks now, even bought a doser as I kept fogetting to put it in! Put some root tabs on the left of the tank to see if it made a difference.
Seems to be moving in the right direction, the vallis is looking better, but the algae is getting slightly worse if anything, some brown patches on the back of the tank and on the filter, still got the odd green spot on the front.
Big water change today so I trimmed the java moss right back - turns out most of it was hair / thread algae, might give the moss a chance to re-establish.
Open to any thoughts!
2 Dwarf Banjo Cats
Martinspuddle

How long has your setup been running?
Afterburned

Only since new year, fish in from late Feb. Still trying to get it balanced!
2 Dwarf Banjo Cats
Martinspuddle

Early days, new aquariums always go though different algae stages. :]
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Plus the complete contains phosphate and nitrates. I always recommend the light version.
Afterburned

fr499y wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:58 am Plus the complete contains phosphate and nitrates. I always recommend the light version.
Not seen a nitrate test above 0 since I finished cycling hence going for complete! Before you ask - NT Labs ::thumb::
2 Dwarf Banjo Cats