The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs - For the marine keepers!
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Ok thanks guys. Im still researching marine tanks before I take the plunge so all this info helps :)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4251 times

The main thing with marines is take your time, don't mess with the tank too much and seriously overthink before doing anything!
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Was thinking you could have one of those sea cucumber type things ;)
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

[quote="Annie" pid='26792' dateline='1559129713']
Was thinking you could have one of those sea cucumber type things ;)
[/quote]

There’s a couple for sale at the LFS and I really want one but my little nano is far too small :(

I agree completely with fr499y. Take your time and do tons of research. The mistake I made last time was upgrading too quickly and ended up having loads of problems with algae. Oh and don’t get pulsing Xenia. It looks amazing and it’s cheap but flippin eck. It’s a total nightmare, stuff is worse than anything else I’ve ever seen. Took over the whole tank ROFL
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Sarah
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 237 times

Any updates :)  wondering if you have seen any other life in your rocks.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Sarah wrote: Any updates :)  wondering if you have seen any other life in your rocks.
Hi Sarah, I've just been editing some photos for an update :D

I've got 5 litres of RO and salt mixing up ready for the first water change tomorrow.

For the original mix I used 720g of salt in 19 litres of RO. So for a 5 litre water change I did 720/19 to get 37.89g per litre then multiply by 5 = 189.45. So I've done 189g and I'll test tomorrow after letting it mix and heat up overnight.

While playing with the RO mix I saw that the Starfish with no name had made another appearance and he's being more brave today

Then I noticed what might be a teeny tiny starfish nearby

Apologies for blurryness but I've had to zoom in loads to be able to see them.

I've seen a couple of fan worms around the back but no chance of photos at that angle :D

I've ordered a wavemaker that should be here next week as now the rock has been in a little while it's clear the 250lph powerhead isn't going to be up to the job. Plus corals do better in varying currents rather than a continuous stream.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4251 times

coming along nicely :D
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Cheltgirl wrote:
Sarah wrote: Any updates :)  wondering if you have seen any other life in your rocks.

I've got 5 litres of RO and salt mixing up ready for the first water change tomorrow.

For the original mix I used 720g of salt in 19 litres of RO. So for a 5 litre water change I did 720/19 to get 37.89g per litre then multiply by 5 = 189.45. So I've done 189g and I'll test tomorrow after letting it mix and heat up overnight.

While playing with the RO mix I saw that the Starfish with no name had made another appearance and he's being more brave today

I've seen a couple of fan worms around the back but no chance of photos at that angle :D

I've ordered a wavemaker that should be here next week as now the rock has been in a little while it's clear the 250lph powerhead isn't going to be up to the job. Plus corals do better in varying currents rather than a continuous stream.
Well I've cleaned my specs twice now and I still can't make it out, you would be better off using a digital camera with a zoom.  :cool: :cool:
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

That was a digital camera on full zoom then zoomed in using photoshop :D
Brophy

Cheltgirl wrote:

Nicely coming along.

I would watch out for those starfish, they are called asterina and can be a pest if the population grows and some like munching on coral (if you plan on adding any) :(