Feeding Fry

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 20:02 pm
Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 19:34 pm Am i right in thinking all fry born from eggs survive off the egg sac for the first couple of days? Honestly cant remember offhand ROFL
Yes, but how long fry use their egg sac's I cannot remember off hand, think it's 2-3 days if I recall. To be honest it's been six years since I bred any egglayers, it's been all Livebearers since 2013.
It’s definitely a couple of days, just wasnt sure if there were any exceptions :D
Zebra Fish wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 20:52 pm I understand the infusoria and worms are best. But this would cause no end of agro especially if anything starts to get smelly. Simply seeing what other options there are out there that could support them. Until their big enough for things like damphina ect
As I mentioned the frozen rotifers are good as they are tiny :)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 21:24 pm As I mentioned the frozen rotifers are good as they are tiny :)
I've never tried Rotifers for feeding fry, knew of them. I'll stick to me worms! :D
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stevieglasgow
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 127 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 18:56 pm
Tycho wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 16:58 pm I've only ever bread platys, gubbys and krib but I Gingerlove I usually just crush some flakes although I've recently started using TetraMin Baby which is essentially powdered flakes and seem pretty good tbh
Unfortunately flake is just too big for these fry and you cannot use livebearer fry foods. When the fry first hatch those Tetra in Baby flakes are as big as the fry!
Stevieglasgow wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 16:10 pm I bought powderd protein based fish food off ebay it worked a treat for my baby celestial pearl danios.think it cost £4
Stevie
Have you got the ebay link for this product?
Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 15:29 pm The liquifry can be messy. For fry i found using ground up food adult foods (i use a pestle and mortar) or the smaller frozen foods (daphnia, rotifers) to be better.
I agree with you about the Liquifry food, too much and it can foul the water, but these new products might worth a look. Personally I will stick to the worm's!
This was it and acully cheaper than I thought.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1991057042
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

Looks very similar to the tetramin baby stuff...

I like the different varieties 👍
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Have a search on ebay and see if they still sell infusoria tablets. ;)
Martinspuddle

plankton wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 am Have a search on ebay and see if they still sell infusoria tablets. ;)
You'll find the listing next to the section for Sky hooks. :rolleyes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

They used to be available, but they do seem to be like sky hooks or hen's teeth lately.
There is some stuff called Protogen, but I don't know what it actually is........
Martinspuddle

plankton wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 13:05 pm They used to be available, but they do seem to be like sky hooks or hen's teeth lately.
There is some stuff called Protogen, but I don't know what it actually is........
I thought you were pulling my leg, but no your right and whats more I'd seen the packet among the foods before and I hadn't taken any notice.

It's available on Amazon.
Zebra Fish
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 14:24 pm
plankton wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 13:05 pm They used to be available, but they do seem to be like sky hooks or hen's teeth lately.
I thought you were pulling my leg, but no your right and whats more I'd seen the packet among the foods before and I hadn't taken any notice.

It's available on Amazon.
Wow that stuff sounds really cool, either feed dry or add to water and you can make a liquid mix of infusoria!
Martinspuddle

Zebra Fish wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 19:40 pm

Wow that stuff sounds really cool, either feed dry or add to water and you can make a liquid mix of infusoria!
It may well work but I would suggest do some serious research on the internet about using these types of products with newly hatched fry. Hobby is a German company,
website; https://www.dohse-aquaristik.com/en/produkte