What type are these?

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

I sent this photo to a friend to try and identify the type of Guppy. He suggested that they may be "Dragon Tail". I asked him for advice, as I wish to breed the 3 I have and don't want to end up with something odd, sich as appears to have occurred with my so-called "Honey Gourmi" . ::crazy::

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5464 times
Been liked: 2675 times

I dunno if they’re dragon tail, they do have some signs of the pattern although the dragon tails are supposed to look like a spanish dancer dress (alternating stripes). One of them (the black yellow) looks like they have the snakeskin/cobra patterning :)
If you do want to breed them make sure you have at least 2 females (preferably more) per male. You would likely end up with a mix of fry and colours, bit you can control it to some extent depending on male and female colours ( the fry pick up parents colour and patterns).
But be warned like many of the livebearers they are prolific breeders, one male insemination can result in 8 separate batches of fry (each one about a month after the other). So you can end up with a lot of fry in one go ;) hope that helps :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5080 times
Been liked: 3433 times

I started off with dragontails, yellows, yellow cobra/snakeskin and blues.
The dragontails 21 years ago only had red tails.
They are all the same species, poecilia reticulata, just bred for specific colouration and patterns for showing; unlike the honeys that are often cross-bred with other species like dwarf, banded and thick-lipped. ;)
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

To paraphrase Forrest Gump: "Life is like a tank of guppies. You never know what you're gonna get." :)
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

Only thing I would say is be prepared for a lot... and I mean a lot of fry! If you're planning on breeding 3 males, that means minimum 6 females, breeding pretty much non stop, the gestation period is roughly a month and once the drop they don't hang about and if you're not careful the fry could end up breeding as well.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4265 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Ric wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:50 am To paraphrase Forrest Gump: "Life is like a tank of guppies. You never know what you're gonna get." :)
Now @Ric you've got to say it like he did, then post the recording on here. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

I did - in a paraphrased kind of way...unfortunately all recording devices are on their Easter breaks (or should that be 'breakages') :D heyho
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Tycho wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:32 pm Only thing I would say is be prepared for a lot... and I mean a lot of fry! If you're planning on breeding 3 males, that means minimum 6 females, breeding pretty much non stop, the gestation period is roughly a month and once the drop they don't hang about and if you're not careful the fry could end up breeding as well.
no intention of breeding with 3 male Guppies. I intend to get 3 females for one of the boys, and have a seperate tank for that.