Talk Congo tetra to me

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

Ok...so I was totally set on emperors, but struggling to find any locally. I really don’t want to order via post if I can, partly the fear and partly the added cost. So, in my online travels I’ve seen Congo tetra and suddenly realised my tank is big enough for them. My boy adores their colours (he’s a fan of rainbows 🌈) and I know my LFS has ordered them in the past. Would 8 fit in my 240L (size and personality-wise)? It’s set at 25 degrees with stock as in my signature. If I can’t get hold then I may end up just upping the rummies and sterbai...I have a feeling it’s only going to get harder to find stock over the next few months.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

I believe they like Um Bongo.

(Wasn't me!!)
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Hmmm.. OK then, just for you VM ...

Napenda samaki hawa. Natumaini kwamba utapokea pendekezo ambalo unatafuta!

(It was 'im)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Thanks for the giggle @Vale!
The more I see them, the more they appeal.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Triumph-Rat

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo,
A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango.
He stuck it with the others, and he danced a dainty tango.
The rhino said, "I know, we'll call it Um Bongo"
Um Bongo, Um Bongo, They drink it in the Congo.
The python picked the passion fruit, the marmoset the mandarin.
The parrot painted packets, that the whole caboodle landed in.
So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle,
They all prefer the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo!

(Still wasn't me!!)
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
Triumph-Rat

Vale! wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 18:38 pm Hmmm.. OK then, just for you VM ...

Napenda samaki hawa. Natumaini kwamba utapokea pendekezo ambalo unatafuta!

(It was 'im)
Don't worry, I'm sure she will find the info she is after (eventually, after lots of ancient advert posts LOL)
lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

Lovely fish. I’ve got some. What are the measurements of your tank?

311l 48x18x22

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

120 x 40 x 73 (l x w x h). 240L. It’s running a 306 external and an internal 4 plus Fluval filter. Probably going to upgrade the external to a 407 after Christmas. They are very pretty!

Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

They’re my favourite fish, they colour up amazing and the tail fins grow so lovely.
Baldwin
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 115 times

I have them, too. Real beauties. My tank is 133cm wide (268L) and I was told by LFS I should have no more than 5 in a tank that size – they certainly use up the space. Mine couldn’t be in better health but I’ve also been told you should try to keep 6 minimum, so that’s probably your number. Despite online research suggesting otherwise mine are anything but shy: they eat like fiends and move like lightening. Might be an issue with your barbs nipping (although the fins don’t appear on the males until they mature) but apart from that you should be grand with your stock. One more thing: try to get males if you can (sex ratios do not matter) – the girls are pretty, but the boys are the stars of the show. Good luck! Image
268L:

100L: 14 x Rummy Nose Tetra; 14 x Ember Tetra; 6 x Sterbai Cory;

60L: