Illegal immigrant Snails

r0bb072
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 56 times

So, i've now got 4 snails. Didn't ask for them, didn't knowingly buy them. I'm assuming they came with the plants i bought. I noticed the first one a few weeks back and they must keep shagging, as now they are 4 strong.

Can you advise how snails help the tank, the negatives to them (if any) and when they become too many. They also hog the tomatoes i feed the fish with, which must be quite disconcerting for the fish.

thanks

J
Hardware:
Juwel Primo 70ltr tank,
NovoLux 60 LED light,
NICREW internal 700
AquaHeat 50 Watt heater
Askoll Sand 0.7/1.2mm
Loose aquarium Bogwood pieces
Numerous planted species

Software:
1 Orange Flag Tailed Guppies
4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
4 Zebra Danios
1 Super Red Bristlenose Pleco
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

I call all snails that are uninvited pest snails.
I always buy my plants from reputable sources such as Aquarium Gardens, Aqua Essentials or Pro Shrimp. The plants are top quality, chemical free and 99.9% snail free.
I personally just do not like or want snails in my aquarium.

Some members welcome snails but I'm not one of them.
This may be a useful link:- All about pest snails in the planted aquarium, despite the title the article is quite positive about snails.

If you have pest snails then you could buy some assassin snails to help get rid of the uninvited guests.
I would try to pick them out and dispose of them before 4 becomes 100's
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
DoubleDutch
Posting Legend
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 134 times

Yeah if there are a few get one assassin (snail).
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

There's actually nothing wrong with most snails in the aquarium.
They can point to good or bad water conditions.
Most people find them a problem if they have "too many", but this is normally caused by overfeeding the fish.
I don't have a problem with them, and was quite upset when I lost all my ramshorns and bladders during "The Great Curtain Rail Crash" of 2010.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

r0bb072 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 am So, i've now got 4 snails. Didn't ask for them, didn't knowingly buy them. I'm assuming they came with the plants i bought. I noticed the first one a few weeks back and they must keep shagging, as now they are 4 strong.

Can you advise how snails help the tank, the negatives to them (if any) and when they become too many. They also hog the tomatoes i feed the fish with, which must be quite disconcerting for the fish.

thanks

J
I deliberately add "pest" snails to my tanks. They clean up any waste, some algaes. They're also a good indication of you are over feeding as if you have a population explosion it can mean you are over feeding.

My view tends to be a little unique, most hate them!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

I have just successfully completed a total war against the ramshorn empire. About 4 months ago after defeating an invasion by bladder snails I was suddenly attacked ( see Pearl Harbour) by a horde of ramshorn. And I mean a HORDE! Genghis Khan would have been proud of their tactics. My daily battles with them often resulted in me capturing 200 and more. On one occasion I spent over an hour just getting them off the front of the tank. There are still a few in my tank, but nowhere near the hundreds previously. I am very carefully watching my other tanks and so far they seem clear. But I would suggest at the first sign of your tank hosting any, .......attack! Or else you will soon be overwhelmed
.BTW!, as they came in on plants I got from LFS. the only plants I buy now , if at all, are Tropica.
Last edited by Jon_D on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r0bb072

BigBen wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:38 pm
r0bb072 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 am So, i've now got 4 snails. Didn't ask for them, didn't knowingly buy them. I'm assuming they came with the plants i bought. I noticed the first one a few weeks back and they must keep shagging, as now they are 4 strong.

thanks

J
I deliberately add "pest" snails to my tanks. They clean up any waste, some algaes. They're also a good indication of you are over feeding as if you have a population explosion it can mean you are over feeding.

My view tends to be a little unique, most hate them!
Thanks muchly for your advice. On the overfeeding bit, i only feed, every 2-3 days so i'm not certain this is the cause. Yes, the tomatoes do go in weekly but are removed after two days, so there's not an awful lot for them to play on. The toms are really for the super red who grounds feeds only, that i can see. The plants came for Maidenhead aquatics who are pretty reputable so i may go back and ask them.

Other than that, i think i'll play god if they don't stop multiplying.

cheers
Hardware:
Juwel Primo 70ltr tank,
NovoLux 60 LED light,
NICREW internal 700
AquaHeat 50 Watt heater
Askoll Sand 0.7/1.2mm
Numerous planted species

Software:
4 Zebra Danios
mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

I miss my 'pest' snails. Had lots when the tank was new and more than one variety. All gone now sadly.
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
r0bb072

@mattindevon

do you get rid?
Hardware:
Juwel Primo 70ltr tank,
NovoLux 60 LED light,
NICREW internal 700
AquaHeat 50 Watt heater
Askoll Sand 0.7/1.2mm
Numerous planted species

Software:
4 Zebra Danios
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Esha Gastropex works well. Though if you only have a handful I'd try just picking them out first. I don't like them personally and like Stephen will only buy from the snail-free suppliers he listed now.