Aqua One Oak Style aquariums?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

I seem to recall @WinterRose73 looking at one of these and I have been thinking about new aquarium.

Although Mrs. Puddle has said 'wait' ...I can't! :grin:
Andys temperate tank wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 am Surely a bigger house needs a bigger tank?
Love too, but there are other issues to be taken into consideration here too, a Victorian house with 170 year old joists! While I like the look of the Oakstyle 300, bigger brother of the 230 the size the weight will be a bit of a worry. :cry:

Anyway, forgetting that, has one got of these or knows someone who has, what are the build quality like?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Hi @Martinspuddle . Along with the Eheim Vivaline tank I looked at the Aqua One Urban Oak style. I really liked the furniture aspect of it, but for me the height overall of the tank and cabinet ruled it out. I wouldn't have been able to reach the substrate (same issue with my 190). Having cats I also wasn't struck on the lid as it had gaps big enough for paws to go dabbling. I did however really like the cabinet.

https://www.aquaone.co.uk/focus.php?pro ... Collection

As it is I'm still really happy with my choice of the Fusion tank, although it was a bit pricey. I love it 😍
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Martinspuddle

@mikeyw64, your house is older I believe. Looking through Sunnyside 300 blog, I cannot see if you aquarium is on floorboards or a hard floor?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:39 pm @mikeyw64, your house is older I believe. Looking through Sunnyside 300 blog, I cannot see if you aquarium is on floorboards or a hard floor?
1824 :)

its on a solid floor
Martinspuddle

Think I'm going to lift the carpet this afternoon to see how many joists and direction they are... wish me luck! :cry:
Martinspuddle

As far as I can tell, the joists in this room are 3 ¼ inch thick every 11 ½ to 12 inches apart and are at right angles to where the aquarium is planned.

Think that will be strong enough. :s ...I hope.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

It'll take a lot more weight than you think. Although age is a concern because you don't know what state they're in under the floor
Martinspuddle

codheadjohn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 19:22 pm It'll take a lot more weight than you think. Although age is a concern because you don't know what state they're in under the floor
Funny enough I had also noticed the floor in this house doesn't feel like floor boards, if you jump up and down, there absolutely no give in them at all. It's the same at our current house, built 1830 the floorboards are an 1½ think oak, so presumably near the same thickness in the Victorian house.

Might get the Oaksytle 300. :H

Edit; Hmm ::think:: ...I been working it out, I would be paying an extra £280 for 70 litres more water volume with 315 litre model over the Oakstyle 230 which is a 245 litre aquarium.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Where are you getting it from? It's £200 more on the internet at most sites
Martinspuddle

Haven't actually decided that yet, more than likely Aquacadabra in Sidcup which is the nearest site to me. They list current retail prices of £599 and £837 respectively. What have you found @codheadjohn?

Flooring. Got floorboards up today and their all good nic and there's a support wall through the middle of the room at 6 foot. Dinning room is 11.8" x 10.5" feet.

Joists and flooring look OK.
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Wed Mar 17, 2021 13:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.