Shrimps gone hyper

mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

Something wired is going on. I dropped some new elodea into my tank a few minutes ago, just floating for now. The shrimp have gone crazy. Shrimp of all sizes are swarming all over the place like a kicked wasps nest.

Any ideas what’s going on?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

could be to do with biofilm on the elodea, or treatments.
mikeyboy123

There not really going for the elodea though, they look like they are scared and trying to get out of the tank. I’m going to remove the elodea and see if they calm down.
Pagodaswan
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Silly question but did you thoroughly rinse the elodea before dropping it into the aquarium?

Although many suppliers state no pesticides etc, you can never be too cautious, so a quick rinse to get rid of any potential nasties is always a good idea.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Sounds like it’s put something into the water they can’t tolerate. Big water change, and carbon or Polyfilter...
mikeyboy123

Pagodaswan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 14:46 pm Silly question but did you thoroughly rinse the elodea before dropping it into the aquarium?

Although many suppliers state no pesticides etc, you can never be too cautious, so a quick rinse to get rid of any potential nasties is always a good idea.
No, didn’t rinse it. I’ve got some poly filter so will put that in and also do a water change.
mikeyboy123

black ghost wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 14:50 pm Sounds like it’s put something into the water they can’t tolerate. Big water change, and carbon or Polyfilter...
Will do.
Pagodaswan
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

mikeyboy123 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 14:51 pm
Pagodaswan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 14:46 pm Silly question but did you thoroughly rinse the elodea before dropping it into the aquarium?

No, didn’t rinse it. I’ve got some poly filter so will put that in and also do a water change.
Good plan, you caught it quickly so hopefully you can limit any bad effects

Shrimp are so hyper sensitive, the most minute amount of contaminent will do harm......especially if the elodea was treated with anti-snail medication as that can be toxic to shrimp due to copper being an ingredient of some anti-snail treatments, Amano shrimp are very animated when accidently poisoned, they go crazy and are very jumpy.
mikeyboy123

I’ve just read the eBay listing and it does warn about adding plants when shrimps or molluscs are present. Something to do with concentrated fertiliser. Damn, I feel so stupid.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Water changes for your Shrimp aquarium and remove the new plant.

Take the new removed Elodea and place in a clean bowl or tub on a window sill. Over the next few days change the water and this will hopefully dilute what ever chemicals have come on the plant. :]
mikeyboy123 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 15:12 pm I’ve just read the eBay listing and it does warn about adding plants when shrimps or molluscs are present. Something to do with concentrated fertiliser. Damn, I feel so stupid.
Not to worry, we all do silly things sometimes.

Last weekend, who forgot to switch off his heater in the main Puddle having drained the water by 25% :$
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: