Medaka/Rice Fish

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Elston
Has liked: 2 times

Hello,

I have a half barrel outdoors which has been set up for around 18 months. I had 2 small goldfish in there which seemed to do quite well but I would prefer something smaller and less messy. The tub is well planted with hornwort and frogbit gives cover in the summer.
I have read about Medaka or Rice Fish which would seem ideal but from what I can gather, it is illegal to keep them outdoors in the UK. I wonder if someone could confirm this, and if it is correct, clarify why it is the case. I can understand the need to prevent the introduction of alien species to our ponds, lakes and waterways but if the fish are kept in a tub or pond with no connection to a waterway, where is the risk? Possibly eggs could be transferred via birds' legs, but surely that risk exists in the same way for Goldfish or Koi?
I have seen Medaka offered for sale online but obviously don't wish to do anything to harm the environment.
Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I’m not sure if it’s illegal for you to keep them outdoors, but it’s illegal for a shop to import or sell them for the purpose of keeping them outdoors.

“The Import of Live Fish Act, which governs which freshwater species can be imported and sold in the UK, only grants a general licence to sell these fish for indoor set ups. They cannot be kept outdoors because of their tolerance for low temperatures.”

“Keeping Oryzias species in any capacity outdoors would breach the terms of the ILFA licence under which they are imported and if there continues to be reports of Oryzias species being kept outdoors then this could also result in action being taken by government bodies to ban the import and keeping of these popular species.”

https://ornamentalfish.org/industry-war ... aquariums/
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Elston

Thanks, that's very helpful.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Elston wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 13:00 pm Hello,

I have a half barrel outdoors which has been set up for around 18 months. I had 2 small goldfish in there which seemed to do quite well but I would prefer something smaller and less messy. The tub is well planted with hornwort and frogbit gives cover in the summer.
I have read about Medaka or Rice Fish which would seem ideal but from what I can gather, it is illegal to keep them outdoors in the UK. I wonder if someone could confirm this, and if it is correct, clarify why it is the case. I can understand the need to prevent the introduction of alien species to our ponds, lakes and waterways but if the fish are kept in a tub or pond with no connection to a waterway, where is the risk? Possibly eggs could be transferred via birds' legs, but surely that risk exists in the same way for Goldfish or Koi?
I have seen Medaka offered for sale online but obviously don't wish to do anything to harm the environment.
Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
The risk is a bird or animal could remove a fish from your barrel and drop it in a nearby waterway. The odds are low but possible and could create a significant problem.
Elston

I agree that's a possibility (as I've acknowledged regarding eggs), but surely that same risk applies to Goldfish or Koi - in fact arguably more so, as they're much larger fish?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Elston wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:56 am I agree that's a possibility (as I've acknowledged regarding eggs), but surely that same risk applies to Goldfish or Koi - in fact arguably more so, as they're much larger fish?
Sure does, but getting everyone in the uk to empty their garden ponds isn’t gonna happen.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.