Change up to an external filter

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Hey all.

It seems that maybe the internal filter that came with the 118l tank is possibly not good enough.
I currently have a suoerfish 300 aqua flow.

Each time I clean the filter media in old tank water I get a small nitrite spike for a few days.
I've added an old style corner filter box next to it to try and increase the bio media surface area.
This may work but I'm wondering if I should just install an external? Nothing fancy or expensive. Was thinking the Allpondsolutions ef 250 for my first attempt.
Once it is seasoned perhaps remove the internal and fill the housing with bio rings to add extra good bacteria.

It would mean replacing the glass lid with a custom perspex one with cut outs for the pipework.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Cheers
John
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Buy a good one to start off with, put your current media into the new filter with any extra that fits and run it as usual. No need to keep the internal filter in if the media is transferred across.

As for the glass lid, you could get a glass cutter and score across the corners, snap them off and you’re done! Wet sand the edges to avoid cutting yourself once they have been cut off.
Bluetaurus

fr499y wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:25 pm Buy a good one to start off with, put your current media into the new filter with any extra that fits and run it as usual. No need to keep the internal filter in if the media is transferred across.

As for the glass lid, you could get a glass cutter and score across the corners, snap them off and you’re done! Wet sand the edges to avoid cutting yourself once they have been cut off.
Thank you
Not a fan of the APS type externals?

Also, if we have a power cut, will these type of filters automatically start up again like an internal will?

John
Low tech set up.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

APS are the same as the cheap chinese SUNSUN filters. They do the job but aren't the easiest to get spares and can be a bit noisy.

Yes they will restart like an internal filter does.
Bluetaurus

fr499y wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 13:49 pm APS are the same as the cheap chinese SUNSUN filters. They do the job but aren't the easiest to get spares and can be a bit noisy.

Yes they will restart like an internal filter does.
Thanks again
Much appreciated ::thumb::
Low tech set up.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

I thoroughly rate the Tetratec EX series of filters (since they fixed the old leak issue). Plenty quiet, loads of media space, Hoses are rugged as anything (although you may need a hair dryer when you first set them up or to leave them in the sun for a bit as they're stiff as anything). I run two Ex1200's on my 250L One would probably be enough but I live for redundancy. The EX800 / EX1000 is probably big enough for your tank.

You'll get fans of lots of the filters. I'd recommend trying to find reviews from people who've lived with them for 6 months or more. As Fr499y wrote APS and SunSun are cheap, when you get a good unit they can be absolutely fine but the tolerances on manufacture are terrible, they can be noisy, leaky, tempermental, will get brittle and snap bits. I wouldn't trust them with water in my house.

I know another local who loves his JBL Crystal But I think the right sized one would cost you more than the TetraTec.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Bluetaurus

Thanks SPACKlick
I will google the brand you suggested, look at reviews etc.
As has been said APS is a budget brand, the tank is in my garage so not monitored as regular as one in the house.
Thanks
John
Low tech set up.
Bluetaurus

Just cleaned the filter media, sqeezed the sponges a little, all in old tank water. Done a 50% water change.
Will test the nitrites over the next couple of days.
If if shows then the filter really is inadequate!
Low tech set up.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I like the oase filtosmart externals. Plus you don't need a heater in your tank.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Bluetaurus

Andys temperate tank wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 20:55 pm I like the oase filtosmart externals. Plus you don't need a heater in your tank.
Thanks Andy

I will take a look.
Low tech set up.