Neolamprologus sp. Cygnus

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
ZanaZoola14
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

I've now managed to get a very young group of five Neolamprologus sp. Cygnus. Originally, I decided to add them to my main Tang tank, but last minute (when they arrived), I wanted to go species only tank. I was already floating them at this point, so let them choose while adding extra rocks to the species only tank whether they wanted to be main tank or not.

One of the five left the bags, so they're currently in the 100cm (180ltr) tank while the others have gone into a tank of their own, 70cm (110ltr) I believe, very likely to be more. (Both are wide tanks)

I am wondering whether they would be ok on their own? Or whether I should try harder to move them to the species only. They seem to be enjoying swimming with the neon blue paras and settled with the 3d background as well as the eel rock. (5 yellow tails in the tank, monitoring how they behave)

In the species only, there are two rock piles, one of ocean rock from the main tank and the other of various round stones and pebbles (with some tubes within to help make tunnels and caves). The four in there have split into two pairs, one pair per rock pile.

They seem to do be ok with the four, so now I wonder if I will be risking disrupting their settlement if that fifth is added back to their group.

Anyone else kept these before that might have ideas on how to go ahead with this situation I found myself in? Or just any experience with these fish would be useful.

They are not fond of the tetra pro-crisps (use them as my main feed alongside other food) but like the betta flakes and worms. They did enjoy the bbs, and they'll be getting some daphnia alongside some cyclops tomorrow as a treat.

Any assistance or words will be appreciated. Thanks.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

I'm not a cichlid man, but I undrstand that these can be pairs or harems, so, as long as the other is female, you should be ok to add back to the group.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
ZanaZoola14
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

plankton wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:34 am I'm not a cichlid man, but I undrstand that these can be pairs or harems, so, as long as the other is female, you should be ok to add back to the group.
Great, thanks. I never did managed to catch them, but did end up moving one of the others into that 180 alongside them as the others were bullying them. So now two community, and three in the species only.