Anubia
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times

Early morning waiting for the sunshine
Who's been eating the Hygrophila? Lace making shrimps :angel:
Anubia

I was nowhere near that leaf when it got eaten, ask them!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Hygrophila is a funny plant, if conditions are not the same as it previous aquarium it will melt.

To grow this plant well it needs a good nutrient substrate, remove the old large leaves to encourage new growth and feed daily.

Once established, be warned Hygrophila will grow at tremendous rate.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't I have some Hygro Corymbosa and if I look at it funny it won't grow more than an inch tall and the lower leaves curl up.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I had hygrophila polysperma that grew out of control to start with but nothing else grew. Then I discovered I had a phosphate deficiency and very high nitrates, once I started adding phosphate everything else grew and the hygro died off.
It seems a bit special needs.
Anubia

Thank you for the advice. I'm a bit scared of putting
aquatic plant food into the shrimp tank, but most brands say they are shrimp safe. I have hair algae trying to gain a foothold and it thrives on top of the caves.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

The plant foods to watch out for are "Micro" nutrient foods boasting high copper.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Anubia wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 13:34 pm Thank you for the advice. I'm a bit scared of putting
aquatic plant food into the shrimp tank, but most brands say they are shrimp safe. I have hair algae trying to gain a foothold and it thrives on top of the caves.
Your hair algae is out competing your plants for nutrients in your water column. Daily fertiliser dosing will help your plants grow and out compete your algae issues.

Click to enlarge

My planted aquarium is dosed heavily daily using a dosing pump. I use Easy-Life Profito which a universal plant food I've used with both Amano and Neocaridina shrimps and never had any issues with them.

Other safe products: Seachem Flourish, API Leaf Zone, Dennerle Plants Liquid, AQUADIP Plant Food+, Tropica Premium Fertiliser to name a few.

Check out 'Pro Shrimp' website: Pro Shrimp - Fertiliers
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Anubia

Excellent, one bottle of Profito coming up!