External cannister filter

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Mossyboy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 92 times

Hi all,

This is just a little bit of info for anyone interested in buying or replacing their external cannister filter.

I have been running a Tetra EX800 PLUS in a 105 ltr aquarium for approx 5 years.

While the filter works great at filtering the water the motor/pump head has a serious problem with leaks.

I am currently on my fourth motor (including the one first supplied with the filter) and the first three have all had the same leak problem. Looking on Youtube there are videos of others trying to fix the same leak point.

This problem really lets down what should be a good filter, bearing in mind a replacement head costs £66 and they appear to fail approx every one year.

I have now reached my limit of suffering leaks with this product and when this one starts leaking (as it will) I will move to another make. If anyone can recommend a reliable equivalent product it would be welcomed.

I have not posted this as a complaint as such but just to let people know what problems they might face if the decide to go with this product.
Regards to all.
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 222 times

I'm running an Oase BioMaster Thermo 350. No complaints.
54L | Dark Start Tank | Tank log
250L | Rainbow Utopia Tank | Tank log
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Eheim, Oase, Fluval are all good filters worth buying.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3413 times

I ran an Eheim Pro4 250 when I had a 120L aquarium. I love my Eheim Pro4 external filters.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Mossyboy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:22 am I have been running a Tetra EX800 PLUS in a 105 ltr aquarium for approx 5 years.

While the filter works great at filtering the water the motor/pump head has a serious problem with leaks.
Funny enough, years ago I had a TetraTec EX1200 and the pesky thing always leaked!

Get an Eheim, won't regret it. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

My preference is for Fluval, reliable, very good flow, and don't clog up too easily, no pre filter is supplied although no doubt you could fit one if you wanted, one of the 07 series for that size tank 207 probably would be enough,
Eheim are a good filter but I prefer Fluval for the better flow rate, also find it easier to re start the Fluvals after cleaning, Eheim has a lower power consumption though,
People also seem to rate Oase filters, I have just bought a real mini size one but not set it up yet.
Some filters you can get in a thermo version to also take a heater, I have never wanted to do this so it's not a consideration for me.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
FishBubs
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 15 times

That is interesting Staffy! i do like the fluval filters myself probably because they are the ones i have researched into more and used. however, i was talking to someone about Oase thermo filters and i have been wondering since about the difference between the two. i just cant seem to find any justification to prove oase is better than fluval yet (other than the convenience of a prefilter) . but i suppose it is down to opinion (so any are gratefully received).
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

I love my Oase because of the easy to clean prefilter. I do find it hard to do regular maintenance on the big filter (any big filter…it’s a psychological thing) but I can feel a little bit better because I can manage the prefilter at every water change. I also like having a clean tank with no hardware on show, so the heater in it works well for me too.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
FishBubs
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 15 times

Cheers VikingMummy. Do you find there is plenty housing for biomedia?
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

FishBubs wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 16:53 pm Cheers VikingMummy. Do you find there is plenty housing for biomedia?
Tons. I am over filtered as I have the 600 on my 240L tank. But I have all the filter media from the previous Fluval 407 plus two further compartments filled with sponge and I have spare media in there for emergency use if needed (eg if someone local needed to seed a tank or if I had a second tank to set up in a hurry).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.