What's going wrong with my setup?

CuriousGeorge

Hello,

I'm in need of some advice. I used to have a Juwel 180 with the fluorescent tube type lighting and had a very successful planted tank that remained healthy, full of life and fairly low-maintenance for about 5 years, recently I had to get a new tank due to a lack of space and got a Juwel corner 190. However I didn't realise at the time it has the newer LED light bars. I went through the whole process of taking down my old tank, saving what supplies and plants I could and setting the new tank up in as similar a manner as when I set up my other tank (same substrate, water supply and parameters etc.). The only difference was the lighting, I expected some melt back of the plants as it was rough moving them but within a couple of months they had all died and the only thing I seem to be able to grow now is algae. How should I be using these LED lights, what could I be doing wrong?

Thank you very much for any help.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

Transitioning from T5 to LED lights shouldn't make much difference.

What are your current water parameters, fertilizer dosing schedule and have got the previous Juwel 180 aquarium parameters to compare?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Make sure you only have them on for 6-8 hours max, they might not seem as bright as the tubes, but they certainly have more poke to them.

I have a feeling Stephen had the same issue and swapped the cool white (daytime?) LED tubes out for the plant version.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Welcome to the forum. :)

Changing lighting can have a drastic effect on plants, as you’ve found out. Maybe a lot of your plants are amphibious (a lot are) and the new lighting is making them drop their aquatic leaves because the new lights are brighter, or a whiter blend...?

As for advice, I can’t help much. Try what fr499y said. Plants do experience shock if they’re moved. It can be severe.
Last edited by black ghost on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
I've got a Trigon, and I've had all sorts of troubles when I first got it, I think mainly because of the flow. It took me about 18 months to get the flow right and get anything (except cyanobacteria) to grow. I now just have cryptocoryne wendtii and anubias.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian