Hi! New and confused

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Fish
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Hi there, first post :)

So I’m setting up my first tropical tank. And it’s information overload right now so I’d really like to check in with some experts if possible as I want to get it right! My tank below, doing a fishless cycle. It’s 56 litres and I’ve used seachem prime for the tap water (this also confuses me as instructions are for 200 litres so for 50 litres it’s a tiny, tiny amount!), set up yesterday and added tetra safe start as a boost. Today I’ve started using Dr Tims ammonia chloride and had an absolute headache trying to work out how much to add as his info page is written in gallons, and US gallons differ to UK. So as it’s a US business I’m using that. I’ve rounded off my 56 litre tank to 50 litres to account for the substrate, sand, wood and plants etc. so I’ve used the below calculations - I’d love for someone to confirm as I’ve already added the 2.6ml today.

Dr Tim’s ammonia chloride

13 US gallon tank (50 litres)

0.2ml = 4 drops (0.2ml is 2ppm)

4 drops x 13 gal = 52 drops (2.6ml)

So does 2.6ml sound about right? I’ll test tomorrow with the api master kit (another headache which I need to learn).

This fish keeping is way more complicated than I first thought (and expensive :rofl: ).

Any suggestions on more plants to add? All of these seem quite diddy and I’d really like to add some tetra once cycled so want them to be happy and have plants higher up.

Thank you!

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

It should be 5ml because Dr Tims is only 4% last time I checked. I'd start with 2.5ml and test the tank for ammonia and in theory would need to dose again straight away. You want it to be 4ppm of ammonia to start with.

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8002
Fish

fr499y wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 15:47 pm It should be 5ml because Dr Tims is only 4% last time I checked. I'd start with 2.5ml and test the tank for ammonia and in theory would need to dose again straight away. You want it to be 4ppm of ammonia to start with.

On his website it says after 2016 add 4 drops per gallon which is 2ppm (that it says to start with). I’m so confused right now! Screen shot below from Amazon where I purchased it and his website :)

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Welcome to the forum.

Cycling is very simple but most sites, and people, overthink it. 2ppm, 4ppm, it makes no difference whatsoever. Have a read of this guide...

I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Hello and welcome to the forum
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Fish

black ghost wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 16:30 pm Welcome to the forum.

Cycling is very simple but most sites, and people, overthink it. 2ppm, 4ppm, it makes no difference whatsoever. Have a read of this guide...

Thank you, that was really helpful! I’ll save and refer back to it. I’ve definitely been overthinking it all, and over reading and it’s all become information overload and the excitement has died off. I’m a bit of a perfectionist and wanted to get it all spot on.

Do you think I have enough plants in there?
Fish

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 16:39 pm Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
Thank you :)
Fish

Bluetaurus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 16:49 pm Hello and welcome to the forum
Thank you :)
DuzMano
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Fish wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 17:31 pm
black ghost wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 16:30 pm Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, that was really helpful! I’ll save and refer back to it. I’ve definitely been overthinking it all, and over reading and it’s all become information overload and the excitement has died off. I’m a bit of a perfectionist and wanted to get it all spot on.

Do you think I have enough plants in there?
Just getting started myself and I feel your pain regards the overload of information, but it's nice that you want to do it right and doing the research even though there's so much conflicting info out there and just so much it certainly can be overwhelming. But you you're doing the sensible thing and asking advice, so kudos.