Corys

Food, feeding and diet.
CattyV
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 60 times

Hi guys!!

Hope you all had as good a Christmas as possible?

Quick question for the pros. How much food do you feed your corys? I have 9 and I feed a varied diet of frozen twice a week (bloodworm, daphnia or mysis), pellets 4-5 times a week (mix of bug bites for small fish and bottom feeders) and hikari sinking wafers every 2-3 days. I only feed once daily, usually between 8-9pm as I have noticed they are nocturnal. So, I’ll feed a pinch of pellets and make sure some sink to the bottom. I find I have to feed one side of the tank for the faster mid level fish and the opposite corner for the corys. My honey gourami are greedy so and so’s and will steal their food! The sinking wafers I only add 1-2 every 2-3 days to make sure they’re getting enough.

When I feed frozen I only feed frozen and no wafers etc.

To me it sounds ok. But just wondered what you did? They don’t look skinny and they do spend hours hunting for sunken food!

Thanks in advance :)
Fluval Roma 125L - internal U3 filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I'm no expert whatsoever but all of my tanks get 2 types of frozen, 4 types of granules, 2 supplements and any tank with cory in gets NT labs catfish pellets in when the rest are eating every night.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I feed mine twice a day, a pellet or tablet in the morning and frozen Lobster eggs in the evening. If they are looking big and full I wouldn't necessarily change anything.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
CattyV

Well my peppered corys don’t look like they’re starving! 😂 the others don’t look skinny just smaller as they’re younger. The peppered I’ve had a couple months now. I do have catfish pellets I occasionally drop in. Just don’t every day as worried I’d be overfeeding them
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

I feed protein granules every day and frozen (a mix) most days, but I've had to cut down the frozen to every other day as it's not easy to get locally during this stupid period.
I would feed twice a day if I were trying to spawn them, although the pandas spawn regardless.......
CattyV

Ahh so you can feed frozen with the granules? I think they get 3 different brands in total. I have Vitalis cat pellets but my honeys eat those 🙄

I suppose I’m trying to get variety into their diets as I read they need that as well as high protein. They really love bloodworm but not fussed for mosquito larvae! Never tried lobster eggs though. Might give those a go!
I think I’ve been lucky with buying frozen. The MA store had plenty in, though during lockdown I did order online and to be fair it arrived in great condition. Still frozen, all wrapped in foil with an ice pack block!
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

CattyV wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:02 am Ahh so you can feed frozen with the granules? I think they get 3 different brands in total. I have Vitalis cat pellets but my honeys eat those 🙄

I suppose I’m trying to get variety into their diets as I read they need that as well as high protein. They really love bloodworm but not fussed for mosquito larvae! Never tried lobster eggs though. Might give those a go!
I think I’ve been lucky with buying frozen. The MA store had plenty in, though during lockdown I did order online and to be fair it arrived in great condition. Still frozen, all wrapped in foil with an ice pack block!
Lobster eggs are fantastic for conditioning them for spawning.
CattyV

I think I might have to set up another tank 🤣 I do absolutely love my corys. Hence me making sure they’re being looked after right!
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

CattyV wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 am I think I might have to set up another tank 🤣 I do absolutely love my corys. Hence me making sure they’re being looked after right!
Another tank will just be the start if you're a fan ;)
CattyV

They are such little characters! All different. I’ve just spent 30 minutes tidying up the sand and now they’re messing it up again 😂
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5