Severum feeding difficulty.

Food, feeding and diet.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Injured severum in the hospital tank has healed up very well,quite lively swimming about etc.

He went eat any pellets though. He used to in the main tank. I have 6 different hikari pellets 4 sinking and 2 floating, I have heron pellets too, he swims up to all of them like he's hungry then refuses them. I leave in there a while and he doesn't touch.

The only thing he'll eat is a frozen shrimp or frozen blood worm cube. So I give in and feed him.
Should I stand firm and leave pellets in there because he'll get used to the frozen?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 17:54 pm Should I stand firm and leave pellets in there because he'll get used to the frozen?
Are they herbivore pellets? Try it with some veg, eg cucumber or lettuce/plants.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 18:31 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 17:54 pm Should I stand firm and leave pellets in there because he'll get used to the frozen?
Are they herbivore pellets? Try it with some veg, eg cucumber or lettuce/plants.
Yeah I've tried the herbivore ones I have and algae wafer. Swims up like he's hungry, then turns away at it all. But drop frozen shrimp or blood worm and he'll eat. I gave pellets last night and nothing else, they're still there tonight going bad so I've siphoned out I don't want him to be hungry whilst healing but don't want him reliant on the frozen food either
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I tried broccoli and peas. Haven't got cucumber here, I'll try for some tomorrow
black ghost
Posting Legend

Probably won’t eat cucumber if it isn’t eating other veg. You could try starving it but I never resort to that. I find the opposite way works a lot better and is a lot kinder. Give it as much as it wants of whatever it will eat for a few days, then starve it a day. It’ll be so used to having a full belly (stomachs expand) that it’ll be even hungrier when it’s stomach is empty. Then it’ll eat whatever it can get....

Give it mostly brine if you do this method. It’s not good to give herbivores too much bloodworm.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 18:51 pm Probably won’t eat cucumber if it isn’t eating other veg. You could try starving it but I never resort to that. I find the opposite way works a lot better and is a lot kinder. Give it as much as it wants of whatever it will eat for a few days, then starve it a day. It’ll be so used to having a full belly (stomachs expand) that it’ll be even hungrier when it’s stomach is empty. Then it’ll eat whatever it can get....

Give it mostly brine if you do this method. It’s not good to give herbivores too much bloodworm.
Will do, thanks, I didn't want to starve him after he's had a rough time.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

He's hoovering blood worms up right now!
black ghost
Posting Legend

Yeah, it’s probably more important right now for it to have food in its belly.