General tonic advice

Food, feeding and diet.
CattyV
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 60 times

Hi everyone

Need some advice please.

One of my honey gourami females is not eating and hasn’t done for 3 days now. It’s almost as if she can’t see (bumps into things and stays in the same spot). I was advised to give general tonic, which is arriving tomorrow and I am feeding brineshrimp with garlic to try get her to eat. She sort of “sees” the food but doesn’t react to it?

The general tonic is made up of
Acriflavine 1125mg/100ml
Methylene Blue 67.5mg/100ml

There is also an anti-internal bacteria made up of
Chloramine T 1150mg/100ml

Is this safe for all the fish I have? I can’t isolate as no spare tank. So would need to be the whole tank. I’m aware it’s half doses for honeys but that’s about it. I’ve no experience with this medication and corydoras for example. I also have tetras and harlequins.

I’m not sure what’s up as she’s not got any outward ailments. Looks a bit pale. She’s keeping to the back of the tank unless lights out she wanders a bit. Photo attached.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you Val x
Fluval Roma 125L - internal U3 filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

The general rule with labarynth fish is to half the stated dose.
IIRC general tonic is interpet number 5.

@plankton thoughts?
CattyV

Thank you. I’m just not sure if safe for the other fish I have in the tank? It is this one I have ordered
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

I wouldn’t fancy adding it to the tank if it contains chloramine, that would surely give the filter a beating potentially causing issues after dosing with spikes 🤔
Have you tried feeding anything else other than the brine shrimp?
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
r0bb072
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 56 times

Do you not have a mop bucket of sorts to use as an emergency tank whilst treatment is ongoing? That way you can safely separate.
Hardware:
Juwel Primo 70ltr tank,
NovoLux 60 LED light,
NICREW internal 700
AquaHeat 50 Watt heater
Askoll Sand 0.7/1.2mm
Loose aquarium Bogwood pieces
Numerous planted species

Software:
1 Orange Flag Tailed Guppies
4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
4 Zebra Danios
1 Super Red Bristlenose Pleco
CattyV

Yes I’ve tried a few foods. Pellets, lobster eggs for example. Just doesn’t seem interested. The anti internal bacteria med says it’s filter safe? 🤔

I mean I have the tank bucket I use to do water changes. I tend not to treat to be honest. I find it rarely helps. But I just feel bad for her.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

From the picture she certainly looks healthy.
I’d agree about the chloramine, the filter will take a hit, but might not be enough to cause issues with the filter bacteria.
CattyV

Still won’t eat. This will be day 4. How many days can they realistically do without? I mean I don’t think I’ve had a fish survive after 7 and that’s me euthanising them. She may eat when lights go out I guess but she used to come out at feeding time and swim across the tank. She doesn’t move now. Stays in that spot. I’ve soaked pellets in garlic juice tonight and nothing. Might try peas tomorrow

Strange thing is the male and her seem to be courting. They spun round and he displays and then she swims off. So unless she’s off food for spawning? I’m bot sure that’s a thing though. If unwell I wouldn’t have thought the male would go near her?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Fish can survive longer without food than you’d think! Certainly up to two weeks. I wouldn’t treat the tank. She’s pale in colour but that can happen, she doesn’t look thin, her fins are erect etc.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
CattyV

Would you wait a while longer? I’m absolutely petrified of treating. Always have been. I tend to euthanise if comes to it (as much as I hate doing it). And I’m scared of harming my corys. She could be eating when lights are out but never seen her really move from 1 of 3 spots.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5