Seachem PhosGuard

Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

My CT has had black beard algae for alsmost 3 - 4 months despite my attempts to remove it. Its not intrusive but makes the CT look untidy as it covers a lot of leaves with its sooty appearance. My fish don't seem to be bothered. Reading up on it I believe that Seachem PhosGuard may help. If anyone has tried this and has any suggestions, then I'd be very grateful.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

BBA is harmless to aquatic life and usually is caused by not enough water circulation around the plants. In high lighted, high tech aquariums can suffer from this algae caused by fluctuating CO2 levels, but you don't have a high tech aquarium.

PhosGuard, as far as I'm aware will have no effect on it.

Remove all the worst effected leaves, increase the flow in the water column and if you can 50% weekly water changes. With stubborn areas of BBA, you can brush off using a clean unused toothbrush or apply liberal amounts of EasyCarbo or other liquid carbon product to areas of plant leaves, wood or stone and the algae will turn pink and die. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2115 times
Been liked: 761 times

I would get EasyCarbo...
I would also check the flow in the area of BBA...
How are you doing fertilizer?
Create Not Hate
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Thanks guys , but already done all the ideas suggested. Flow is excellent as I have 2 filters moving the water in a clockwise direction and over the months used 2 bottles of AQUADIP EASY CARBON. :rolleyes: One of the filters has a variable tap which can cause waves LOL. I'll just put up with the algae as it is not affecting the fish, just making some plants look rather diirty. Its just as well I am, not attempting TOTM.. :D :P
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2115 times
Been liked: 761 times

Jon_D wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 13:35 pm Thanks guys , but already done all the ideas suggested. Flow is excellent as I have 2 filters moving the water in a clockwise direction and over the months used 2 bottles of AQUADIP EASY CARBON. :rolleyes: One of the filters has a variable tap which can cause waves LOL. I'll just put up with the algae as it is not affecting the fish, just making some plants look rather diirty. Its just as well I am, not attempting TOTM.. :D :P
Trying leaving your lights off for 3 days see what the out come is after...
Create Not Hate
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

I've use quantum bba remover to kill it before Jon.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Andy, I might give quantum bba remove a go; I have been using this stuff, (below) but it had no effect. As I said, I might as well live with the algae as it doesn't do any damage........ just makes some plant leaves look like they have just come up from Monkwearmouth pit!
Maybe this "Anti-Hair" stuff is meant for your own hair, which again is no good to me as I don't have any!
Andys temperate tank
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

Jon_D wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 15:18 pm Andy, I might give quantum bba remove a go; I have been using this stuff, (below) but it had no effect. As I said, I might as well live with the algae as it doesn't do any damage........ just makes some plant leaves look like they have just come up from Monkwearmouth pit!
Maybe this "Anti-Hair" stuff is meant for your own hair, which again is no good to me as I don't have any!
Zarra must have put some of that in my shower gel Jon.

The quantum stuff started working after a couple of days.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Juat ordered the "quantum " Andy.