Solenoid Valve Thread Identification

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Cylindric
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 44 times

Solenoid Valve Thread Identification

Post by Cylindric »

Hi folks. I have a bit of a CO2-related problem, in that I have some old equipment that I'd like to re-use. I have a solenoid valve and adapters that I used to have connected to a SodaStream bottle. For some weird reason, the bottle I just got from Sainsbury's doesn't quite fit! It looks like it should, but it's just off enough that the adapter won't screw onto the bottle. Unfortunately I didn't have both bottles at the same time, so wasn't able to compare. Have the threads changed slightly in the last couple of years?

The next problem is then that I bought one of the Nano CO2 cartridges from CO2Supermarket that has a 5/8"-18 UNF thread. The tricky bit is that the solenoid valve I already have came from a vendor that no longer exists, so I have no data on it. It has a reverse female thread that seems to be the same size and pitch as the cartridge, just in the other direction. I'm not sure what adapter I'd need to make those work together.

Should I just write-off this solenoid valve and replace it with a new one that I know will 'just work'?

Lo1
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Solenoid Valve Thread Identification

Post by Lo1 »

Cylindric wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 13:16 pm Hi folks. I have a bit of a CO2-related problem, in that I have some old equipment that I'd like to re-use. I have a solenoid valve and adapters that I used to have connected to a SodaStream bottle. For some weird reason, the bottle I just got from Sainsbury's doesn't quite fit! It looks like it should, but it's just off enough that the adapter won't screw onto the bottle. Unfortunately I didn't have both bottles at the same time, so wasn't able to compare. Have the threads changed slightly in the last couple of years?

The next problem is then that I bought one of the Nano CO2 cartridges from CO2Supermarket that has a 5/8"-18 UNF thread. The tricky bit is that the solenoid valve I already have came from a vendor that no longer exists, so I have no data on it. It has a reverse female thread that seems to be the same size and pitch as the cartridge, just in the other direction. I'm not sure what adapter I'd need to make those work together.

Should I just write-off this solenoid valve and replace it with a new one that I know will 'just work'?
Could you not go over to sodastream bottles?

Co2 Supermarket do a Nano Regulator To SodaStream Adapter:

Description
SodaStream cylinders provide a cheap and convenient way to source the CO2 needed for your aquarium CO2 system and often offer better value and last longer between replacement than using smaller CO2 cartridges. This adapter will enable you to connect your 85g-95g Nano CO2 regulator to a SodaStream cylinder for longer and cheaper supply of gas.

The thread that screws into the Nano regulator is 5/8"-UNF, which is the thread used on 85g - 95g CO2 cartridges.

A SodaStream cylinder will typically last for 3-4months when used at a rate of 1 bubble/second for 8 hours per day, which makes it ideal for aquariums up to 200 litres.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

Eheim vivaline 126,
Eheim reverse flow under-gravel filter,
Eheim professional 5e 450 filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 1966 times

Re: Solenoid Valve Thread Identification

Post by fr499y »

The first regulator might be a cga 320 valve as I think they might be left handed.