External filter recommendations

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
SEANY PT
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 80 times

Hi all, me again,

I know alot of people love their exernal filters and I have been looking into some but where do I start.

My tank is 60 x 30 x 40 (72ltr empty) but I want to over filter heavily due to it being a pea puffer tank (messy high protein foods) but I also need to keep flow relatively low as they dont do well in high flow situations. I want heavy filtration just not a whirlpool.

Current filtration is a AquaEl ASAP 300 (300 LPH) and dual air filter 60.

Am I right in thinking of changing or should I just stick to what I have? am I just overcomplicating everything by trying to fix what isnt broken.
Just returned to the hobby ::thumbu::

Leddy XL 60 (72ltr), planted, CO2,
Carinotetraodon irrubesco (Red eyed Puffer)

TMC nano 30 - Snail breeder tank

Send me your pest snails......🐌🐡
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I can only recommend what I'm using seany mate.

I have an oase filtrosmart 100 running my 60p. 600lph and its a nice simple filter.

If your feeling extra flush have a look at the oase biomaster 250.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I like the Fluval 207/307 etc. I've also had and would recommend the tetratec ex range. Can't go far wrong with Oase or Eheim neither. I wouldn't recommend Maidenhead Aquatics' aquamanta range, I think it's noisy compared to others similarly priced.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2119 times
Been liked: 761 times

If you want a cheap one... AQUARIUM EXTERNAL FILTER EF-150 400 L/H the downside is to prime it you need to fill the filter and then fill the inlet tube as well otherwise it wont get it self going.
The other thing I done on mine also is I replace the bio balls with bio media taken out around 10 balls and put in a whole bag of bio media... I get pretty clear water.
Create Not Hate
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

2nd the fluval 207 or whichever generation of that size. Currently have one filtering my 80litre figure 8 tank and it does the job nicely with good flow.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 857 times

I'd go with a fluval. Tried all pond solutions/ cheaper models, but the build quality and reliability was pants. Fluval have been great. Had a few now and all good. This you'll want a 206/207 for your size tank. The 306 may be too powerful/ too much flow.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

I will usually recommend Eheim external filters but other makes are also good.
As you want to over-filter then maybe an external filter with an advertised flow-rate of 700L/h which will give you 10x turnover (over-filtered), anything more will be like a washing machine.
The external filters listed below will certainly do the job.
Fluval 207
Tetra EX 700/800
JBL CristalProfi e702 greenline
AquaManta EFX200 (Maidenhead Aquatics)
Eheim eXperience 250
Eheim Pro4 250
Oase BioMaster 250

The pea puffer or dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) in nature inhabits very still waters, so keeping water movement to a minimum is actually more ideal.
A heavily planted aquarium is good as is subdued lighting if you want to see them active and not hiding away.
Floating plants are good in subduing the lighting and keeping nitrates at minimum as the plants will take up nutrients.
Keep the tank water temperature at around 24/25C as a long-term temperature.
SEANY PT wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 14:44 pm Am I right in thinking of changing or should I just stick to what I have? am I just overcomplicating everything by trying to fix what isn't broken.
Probably. ;] I would actually recommend leaving the filtration as it is.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)