Sponge on inlet filter.

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
stanster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 32 times

Apologies if this seems like a stupid question but is it a good idea to have a foam/sponge on the inlet filter in the tank ?

Was watching the guy from aquarium co-op on YouTube and he suggested there was no reason not to ( apart from it looking pig 🐖 ugly).
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

I don't use one as they tend to get clogged with debris plus they look ugly.
If you have tiny fish (fry) that can slip through the grill on the outlet pipe then adding a foam may be beneficial.

I find most YouTube videos from America to be sometimes amusing, sometimes cruel and sometimes inspirational.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
stanster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 32 times

I don't mind this guy tbh, he suggested the same fish that you did for tank,.so he can't be that bad 👍
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

I’ve been known to use them. They can help keep the filter cleaner for longer if regularly rinsed out.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I've been thinking about doing that, mainly because when I get a decent plant cover I'd like neocardina shrimp (not bothered about the colour). I'm against it because I want the filter to be hidden and not half of it in the tank.
In the past I've pulled fry out of the filter and they have been growing quite well, probably safer in there than the main tank.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 14:21 pm I've been thinking about doing that, mainly because when I get a decent plant cover I'd like neocardina shrimp (not bothered about the colour). I'm against it because I want the filter to be hidden and not half of it in the tank.
In the past I've pulled fry out of the filter and they have been growing quite well, probably safer in there than the main tank.
You could wrap a little piece of netting round the strainer, tights or something, or cut up an old fish net. Not fishnet tights though...