Hiding filters in nano tanks

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4217 times

I wouldn't personally use that tank for shrimp, the filter is a death trap for them as there are too many gaps. my old LFS had one that he put a load of shrimp in and... well they didnt fair too well!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Si4geckos wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 15:55 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 14:43 pm If your only planning to use shrimps in this aquarium just plant it. Using a high quality aquatic soil you can plant the aquarium heavily and not bother with a filter at all.

As long as you have heat and light for the plants the shrimp will thrive in such a set-up. :]
This is an interesting idea. I was just going to stay plant all around the filter with tall plants like cabomba. I've got java fern that's got froma cutting to a size that it proabably wont even fit in your tank now. Just make plants the focal point/ eye-catching part. The shrimps will thrive in all the cover too.
It's a Walstad set-up. :]

Give you food for thought, here's a short video of 'Foo the Flowerhorn' aquarium. It's full of shrimps as well as Sparkling Gourami's (Trichopsis pumila) and has no filter.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

fr499y wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 16:36 pm I wouldn't personally use that tank for shrimp, the filter is a death trap for them as there are too many gaps. my old LFS had one that he put a load of shrimp in and... well they didnt fair too well!
Unfortunately the shrimp are already in there 😕 and have been for a week. I can’t exactly do a head count. There’s wood and anubias and moss so there’s no way to see if they’re all ok.

@Martinspuddle the filter is built in so I can’t get rid of it. The tank is also stupidly short so any depth of substrate is going to look ridiculous. I really need to rearrange my house so I can have my proper 18” tank set up again.
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Wishafish wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 16:56 pm @Martinspuddle the filter is built in so I can’t get rid of it. The tank is also stupidly short so any depth of substrate is going to look ridiculous. I really need to rearrange my house so I can have my proper 18” tank set up again.
Simple answer... :]

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Clownman
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 87 times

I used to have an air powered box filter in my shrimp tank, tiny little clear thing that you couldn't see once I had planted in front of it, the shrimps used to like going for a ride in the bubbles as well :D
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

@Clownman thank you for the suggestion, but I just don’t like air pumps unfortunately!
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS