Custom Cabinet Metal or wood?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
KAFISH
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 28 times

Hi guys wondered if i could get some guidance on an issue im facing at the moment.

I recently purchased a Custom Tank 105cm wide 50cm depth 60cm height 12 mm optiwhite glass. So its pretty heavy when empty.

I obviously want to fill this with water fish and ornaments, So i am stuck with the aquarium stand/cabinet.

Firstly i am unsure if i should go for a wooden stand or a metal one. I see loads of cabinets for larger tanks made of flat pack MDF type wood so would assume it would be fine for my tank. But my wife makes me feel otherwise.

I have a slight sizing issue as the tank is made for an alcove, that is approx 108cm wide at the top and 105cm at the bottom due to the skirting board. Would i need the stand to cover the entire size of the tank base or would a few cm off make a difference.

I have seen some fluval roma stands for example that are made for smaller aquariums but are a good fit for my tank would these be sufficient or would my tank be too heavy.

Oh the stress, its been 2 months now the tank has just been sitting on the floor.

Thanks in advance as always
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Fibreboard can be fine for stands (not sure about mdf, they may use a more water resistant version) but the design is different to a normal cabinet so you can't buy something suitable in IKEA. If you look at a tank stand the differences are obvious.
There are plenty of YouTube guides for custom made wooden cabinets, then you just buy some pretty facia to put in the front. I'd make the top board wider and thick enough to support the tank base evenly, maybe a bit of kitchen worktop will do it. The alcove will make life easier as only the front needs to look nice.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Wood is perfectly fine, steel is great if you are planning a rock heavy setup. Any cabinet made for the weight of the tank full with decor is fine no matter the material.

Personally a wooden cabinet for me unless I was going marine with a sump, then metal all the way.