Keeping a filter ticking over

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

Hi fishkeepers

One of my blue eyed fork tailed rainbow fish had his tail bitten off while in quarantine, so when quarantine was over I added the new fish to the display tank but kept him in the quarantine tank on his own to heal, and thankfully his tail has fully regrown.

It's recently dawned on me that the fluvial U2 filter in the quarantine tank would have had a serious reduction in ammonia!

The plan is to move stumpy (I still call him that) into the display tank on boxing Day, together with the U2, then clean out the quarantine tank and leave it dry and on standby. It'll be 2 weeks on Saturday since he's been in there on his own.

How do you reckon the bacteria are getting on in the U2 with just the waste if one small fish and some uneaten food?

Thanks
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

If the muncher numbers are down they will go back up if the u2 is left running in your display tank, it will always be ready if you need to set the qt back up.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

The bacteria grow/die back depending on the amount of available food, some just go dormant. You dont need to add any extra food to keep the munchers going as you could cause a spike instead.
Just move the media along with him to the main tank, if you ever need any for the QT you can always just pinch a bit from the main tank :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!