Fishless cycling with ammonia query

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Shivjindal
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hi Folks

I'm currently cycling a 125l tank with ammonia using the method detailed on this forum. Im just over two weeks in and the tank is now processing 2ppm of ammonia in about 24 hrs (back to 0) and the nitrite and nitrate are off the scale as expected. Just wondering, do I keep dripping the ammonia in now or just leave it until the nitrite goes back to zero? Also, if I did a large water change now will this speed up the process or again, should I just leave it. Ive been putting filter start bacteria in a couple of times in the last few days to hopefully speed it up!

As always, any help would be appreciated ::thumbu::

Thanks, Ade
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

You need to keep feeding ammonia otherwise you just go back to the start.
A water change is fine, just remember to top up the ammonia again afterwards.
It generally takes 10 days for the nitrite munchers to catch up and then it’ll happen overnight.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

What she said ;)
Just top up ammonia when it hit 0ppm and it will all eventually catch up and you’ll have zeros across the board (more or less) :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Shivjindal

Ace, thanks folks!
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

A big water change will probably speed up the process, since very high nitrite and/or nitrate slows it down. You can change as much as you like. Then redose ammonia...
Shivjindal

black ghost wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 15:07 pm A big water change will probably speed up the process, since very high nitrite and/or nitrate slows it down. You can change as much as you like. Then redose ammonia...
Great, many thanks for your response, keen to get some fish in! :H