Going bigger

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I agree @BigBen. :)
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

Interesting. I shall look into medicine. He's currently still lethargic, sat in the bottom breathing a bit heavy. Doesn't show interest in food and I tried moving him with my hand yesterday as I was trying to catch other fish and he didn't even flinch.

In other news, one of my new L397s has got quite unusual eyes. They're usually dark on the head, but this one seems to have lighter eye surrounds. Looks like someone has stuck googly eyes on it. Acting fine/ normal, could this just be different patterning or is this something else?

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

In the pic it looks a bit lighter generally, could be some sort of albino gene perhaps?
I do like their head markings. :)
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:07 am In the pic it looks a bit lighter generally, could be some sort of albino gene perhaps?
I do like their head markings. :)
The water wasn't great in Quarantine as the cycle had crashed so daily water changes and barely feeding. Since its been in the main tank it seems to be looking a bit more normal again.

In other news, I managed to sell my 6 small L397s again leaving me just 4 bigger ones. I also got 20 more rummy nose in the trade (agreed 15, but he either can't count or is very generous) and just stopped off at Abyss in Stockport and found the only reasonably priced fish it would seem, some albino Congo tetra. Not really seen many around, but when I have they've been silly money. Only an inch long, but £3 each or 5 for £12.50 I thought was pretty good.

5 are currently aclimating temperature wise then they'll go up to Quarantine with the new rummies.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Looking good. :)
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Ram update and numbers have dropped!

Started off with 7. 1 randomly died. Then one looked ill and another with weird gills. Ill one died with 48hrs, one has just vanisehed and the one with the weird gills got darker in colour now I can't find it. That's 4 in a week.

The first 3 'missing' were in a love triangle. The female had swapped males so I'm wondering if things got nasty and they all got finished off. The one with flared gills may have got caught in the crossfire too. I'm now left with the big electric blue male and a male/ female pair of golds. The gold pair have moved from one end of the tank to pretty much being all over, so wonder if it's a dominance/ fighting issue when I've not seen it. All other fish seem to be fine.

Off to do a water change and hopefully remove the last ram body (only found two of the 4 so far). Very annoying.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Sorry for your losses. :(
It's always a risk with cichlids to have more than a pair/harem depending on species.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Sorry for your losses Si :(
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Managed to find the dead smaller blue one at least during water change. Hopefully, the remaining 2 males can tolerate each other.

The good news (hopefully again) is my original big male panaqolus seems to have another one trapped in his cave. I wasn't sure (and still aren't sure) if the females are large enough/ mature enough to breed. Will I need to step in and set her free if she's never going to lay eggs?
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Si4geckos wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 17:43 pm Managed to find the dead smaller blue one at least during water change. Hopefully, the remaining 2 males can tolerate each other.
Sorry to hear of your losses Si. :(
Si4geckos wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 17:43 pm The good news (hopefully again) is my original big male panaqolus seems to have another one trapped in his cave. I wasn't sure (and still aren't sure) if the females are large enough/ mature enough to breed. Will I need to step in and set her free if she's never going to lay eggs?
I am quite new to keeping plecos, I have 2 x Flash plecos L204 (Panaqolus albivermis) and also would also like to know the answer to your question.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)